• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit ID-1 India (1 Viewer)

aloktewari

Opus Editor
Supporter
India
Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, Rajasthan, India
4.27 pm
Size : medium smallish Pipit; there is an Asian Pied Starling sitting next to it, appearing big in comparison.

Provisional ID : Buff-bellied Pipit ... ?DSCN2626.JPGDSCN2644.JPGDSCN2647.JPGDSCN2650.JPGDSCN2626.JPGDSCN2644.JPGDSCN2647.JPGDSCN2650.JPGDSCN2652.JPGDSCN2652.JPG

I agree it's one of the larger pipits. It's tempting to think it's Blyth's, as the bird looks quite small and a couple of images show a slight cheek stripe, but the crown and back are only diffusely streaked, there's a loral stripe (albeit pencil-thin), the ear coverts are warm brown, the centres to the median coverts look pointed, there are gingery fringes to the coverts and flight feathers, the hind claws looks too long and the tail is short. The underparts are quite warm, as in Blyth's, but the buff wash seems to be mostly confined to the flanks. So I would go for Paddyfield.

Any possibility of Long Billed?
Wouldn't have thought so - the bill is too thin and appears much weaker in the posted photos than the "Roman nose" exhibited by L.B.Pipit in my opinion. Graham Wallbridge would very likely be able to suggest an identification.

Thinking of L.B Pipit. Isn't the bil too straight for Paddyfield (or is it within normal variation)?
Absolutely not Vyomkesh, structure is all wrong; bill is too slight, tail way too short and hind claw way too long. Plumage-wise, LB is more open-faced (though that is difficult to see in these images), the long, pale superclium stands out in an otherwise rather plain head and breast streaking is, at best, weak and ill-defined.

The images are not the sharpest to enable critical analysis of the plumage, but I'd agree with Andrew's overall view, and add the bill is the wrong shape for Blyth's which, typically appears more pointed, shorter and deeper-based and so, I'd call it a Paddyfield.

Grahame

Absolutely not Vyomkesh, structure is all wrong; bill is too slight, tail way too short and hind claw way too long. Plumage-wise, LB is more open-faced (though that is difficult to see in these images), the long, pale superclium stands out in an otherwise rather plain head and breast streaking is, at best, weak and ill-defined.

The images are not the sharpest to enable critical analysis of the plumage, but I'd agree with Andrew's overall view, and add the bill is the wrong shape for Blyth's which, typically appears more pointed, shorter and deeper-based and so, I'd call it a Paddyfield.

Grahame
Ok. Thank you.

Paddyfield Pipit. Bill size/shape/color eliminates Blyth's (or Richard's). In addition, structure, marked lore, narrow supercilium, plain diffused back, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back