• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit species in Cyprus (1 Viewer)

My gut reaction to first photo is of Siberian Buff-bellied. The plain lores, well-defined super, neat oval spots on pale buff underparts extending to rear flanks, leg colour, indication of dark centres on mantle...

The photo does have artefacts, but corrected this still seems interesting. But can coutellii Water be ruled out?

See American Pipit Macaulay Library ML220702781

also You are being redirected...

Brianbb pipit-1.jpg

The second photo here has pretty natural colours, i.e. is not over- (or under-)saturated. The two photos (as photos) are very different in this regard. No offence.
No offence taken at all,just glad that you brought the matter up for me,hence the next photo of the same bird!

My gut reaction to first photo is of Siberian Buff-bellied. The plain lores, well-defined super, neat oval spots on pale buff underparts extending to rear flanks, leg colour, indication of dark centres on mantle...

The photo does have artefacts, but corrected this still seems interesting. But can coutellii Water be ruled out?

See American Pipit Macaulay Library ML220702781

also You are being redirected...

BrianView attachment 1437360
Thank you Brian for your help with this matter.Excellent articles included !!!

I must admit I thought the two photos show different birds: look at the wing bars and head pattern. And my first thought was the original one showed a coutelli Water Pipit, but I am not sure what a summer eastern Buff-bellied would look like.

I must admit I thought the two photos show different birds: look at the wing bars and head pattern. And my first thought was the original one showed a coutelli Water Pipit, but I am not sure what a summer eastern Buff-bellied would look like.
Hi Steve

To some extent I agree, though the leg colour is at odds with coutellii and the spots are quite well defined. Call would be very important as it is quite different between coutellii and japonicus

Brian

I am a bit confused about which of the photos posted here are being questioned an which have truly been solved, but surely the photo in post #1 shows a (Siberian) Buff-bellied Pipit and not coutellii Water Pipit, with such a pale lore (as pale as the supercilium), complete eyering, long, bold supercilium and small, dark bill?

I am a bit confused about which of the photos posted here are being questioned an which have truly been solved, but surely the photo in post #1 shows a (Siberian) Buff-bellied Pipit and not coutellii Water Pipit, with such a pale lore (as pale as the supercilium), complete eyering, long, bold supercilium and small, dark bill?
Peter

My concern is that some coutellii can show pale(r) lores, especially when the head is viewed slightly from behind

and some can show brown legs

I am now confusing myself...

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back