• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plain-backed Sparrow - Bangkok today (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I got this poor picture of a female sparrow, obvious not a Tree Sparrow. I counted to 50 ++ Tree Sparrows but no house sparrows. And by the look of the back on this female I suspect it is a plain-backed mainly due to the back pattern.

I have not seen any House Sparrows and last week when I was here I reported the first ever Plain-backed Sparrow at this eBird hotspot.

So a female Plain-backed Sparrow, but now the problem. In my book the Plain-backed Sparrow have a black, or very dark tail and this one looks to be greyish.

A young Plain-backed? Anyone having any idea?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding!
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1580.jpg
    1580.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36
Hi. I've looked at many pics online, and it certainly looks like one! (female/juvenile) Same yellowish colouring and, a long eye stripe that reaches the nape.......... I'm no expert though!

Hi. I've looked at many pics online, and it certainly looks like one! (female/juvenile) Same yellowish colouring and, a long eye stripe that reaches the nape.......... I'm no expert though!
Thank you!

I am pretty sure it is a Plain-backed, but the problem is the tail. Might be some kind of lightning effect with the sun, but it do not look dark as it should be as per my books

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Thank you!

I am pretty sure it is a Plain-backed, but the problem is the tail. Might be some kind of lightning effect with the sun, but it do not look dark as it should be as per my books

Kind Regards
Aladdin
I still think its a plain-backed, the tail seems fine for a juvenile or female. Is your guide photographic or is it illustrated?

I still think its a plain-backed, the tail seems fine for a juvenile or female. Is your guide photographic or is it illustrated?
Cheers Bewick!

I have attached a picture from my 3 books, and as you can see, they look very different in all the books. I have 3 different books for Thailand and the pictures are all drawings.

I am 99.9%, well, 100% sure it is a Plain-backed, but the black/ dark tail confuses me. But again, I have seen many birds with different variations that I have had help with here on the birdforum.

And the books can (at times) drive me crazy with the different illustrations in the different books.

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Attachments

• xxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 26
And one last thing, yet again I have discovered a bird following a tip I got from a birding Guide some years ago.

"Always have a look if you see a group of sparrows, never mind how boring it is, there is always the chance for a surprise"

And this have proven right several times for me

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back