• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning a Summer Trip: Dali (Yunnan) and Sichuan input wanted! (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

This summer (probably late June or July) , I'm hoping to take my family for a week vacation in-country. We live in hot Guangxi, and would like to go to a place that is cooler (probably meaning higher elevation) that has some different habitats and bird species, as we haven't ventured outside Guangxi much. Right now, I'm mainly looking at either Dali in Yunnan, or Chengdu/Sichuan. My son is also really into birding now. We're NOT looking for an intense, expensive, multi day guided trip, and it's not even necessary that we specifically hunt down extra rare/endemic species. Rather, we want to stay in a location that provides easy access to birding sites where we could see a variety of birds, and that we could access mostly through public transportation or using Didi, which would also minimize costs.

I've scoured eBird to find basic information about what would be present in different areas, but I was wondering if anyone has any helpful info about these things specifically:

1. Dali (Yunnan) birding sites in summer. Cangshan is an obvious choice, with seemingly easy public access. Any specifics on areas of Cangshan or hikes that would be away from crowds or good for birding? What other parks in Dali or nearby locations would provide good birding in the summer?

2. The other possibility I'm considering is Sichuan, perhaps spending a few days in Chengdu city, and a few days in a mountain birding location like Wawu Mountain (is it even open to visitors at this time?) Emeishan, or Wolong/Balang. Emei seems to be the most easily accessible without private car, but also would have lots of people and rather aggressive monkeys. Anyone have personal experience with any of these locations in the summer?

Other ideas for summer mountain birding are welcome too!

Thanks,
Mike

Chengdu in summer would be baking hot! It's not high elevation and sits in a ring of mountains, so it slowly cooks! You would need to get out to the higher elevations of Wolong / BalangShan / Siguniang Shan to find cooler weather.

Emei Shan in summer has a nice variety of birds, but is something of an adventure - steep steps are hard work - either up or down, and I don't know how much habitat is left on top. Anyway a pre-internet report from June 1997 is attached below:

Dali is nice - there's the lake with marshes at the north end as well as Cang Shan. You could combine it with a visit to the even higher Lijiang - which has plenty to do and some good birds in the city itself, including Giant Nuthatch on the hill next to the Black Dragon Pool Park. I had Wallcreeper in the Tiger Leaping Gorge on a non-birding winter trip a few years ago.

Here's a link to my short summer visit to Lijiang: A weekend in Lijiang 921-24 June

I agree with John about the attractions of Qinghai - it's all at elevation and has some great birding at Qingahi Lake and the road to Yushu. I'll post a report of a trip I led in June 2000, along with another June report for Sichuan

Cheers
Mike.

Attachments

• IMG_4477 Emei Shan June  1997 p1.JPG
    IMG_4477 Emei Shan June 1997 p1.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4478 Emei Shan June  1997 p2.JPG
    IMG_4478 Emei Shan June 1997 p2.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4479 Emei Shan June  1997 p3.JPG
    IMG_4479 Emei Shan June 1997 p3.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 5
Chengdu in summer would be baking hot! It's not high elevation and sits in a ring of mountains, so it slowly cooks! You would need to get out to the higher elevations of Wolong / BalangShan / Siguniang Shan to find cooler weather.

Emei Shan in summer has a nice variety of birds, but is something of an adventure - steep steps are hard work - either up or down, and I don't know how much habitat is left on top. Anyway a pre-internet report from June 1997 is attached below:

Dali is nice - there's the lake with marshes at the north end as well as Cang Shan. You could combine it with a visit to the even higher Lijiang - which has plenty to do and some good birds in the city itself, including Giant Nuthatch on the hill next to the Black Dragon Pool Park. I had Wallcreeper in the Tiger Leaping Gorge on a non-birding winter trip a few years ago.

Here's a link to my short summer visit to Lijiang: A weekend in Lijiang 921-24 June

I agree with John about the attractions of Qinghai - it's all at elevation and has some great birding at Qingahi Lake and the road to Yushu. I'll post a report of a trip I led in June 2000, along with another June report for Sichuan

Cheers
Mike.
Mike,
Thanks for the detail info and links. My family is leaning towards heading to Dali for both its convenience and easy access to Cangshan mountain and birds. Seems like between Erhai and Cangshan, Wuwei Temple, there should be a good variety of birds and places to explore during a more laid back family trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back