• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plans to reintroduce Golden Eagles to England and Wales? (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

While looking for something else I found a couple of articles about potentially reintroducing the Golden Eagle. Not sure if it is just a pipe dream or people are serious about this. Apparently historically the eagles were breeding in England at various lsocations and surely there are various places they could potentially recolonise naturally i.e from the Southern Scotland population. Personally I'm against it what do others think?

What, get rid of human beings? I suppose we could start with the Welsh.
Get yourself to that castle in Wales Pat, you can apparently, still pick them off as long as it's with a longbow, or is that story a myth? I've been expecting someone to test the law in this regard ;)

The Eagles, yes, they'd fall victim in the same way other BOP's have so I see no point.

If the translocation of eagles to the southern uplands of Scotland is successful they would probably spread to northern England anyway, depending on persecution of course.

Oddly, the only Golden Eagle I've seen in Britain was the last English one at Haweswater in Cumbria. I always seem to miss them in Scotland.

One piece actually mentioned reintroducing Mountain Hares alongside the eagles in certain areas. Surely that is a ridiculous way of doing things. Trouble with these things is identifying wether the people proposing them are well intentioned crackpots or people that actually know what they are talking about, without a fair bit of research.

Specific allocated money for such projects. Hence ideas like this when funds could be spent better...

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
If the translocation of eagles to the southern uplands of Scotland is successful they would probably spread to northern England anyway, depending on persecution of course.

Oddly, the only Golden Eagle I've seen in Britain was the last English one at Haweswater in Cumbria. I always seem to miss them in Scotland.
We used to see them regularly just into Northumberland at the top end of Kielder Reservoir, on Deadwater Fell. There was a pair there that bred not far into Scotland. Sadly, one went missing, then a couple of years later the other one went too. It's getting on for 20 years since I saw a golden eagle in England. This time of year was the best for them, when if there was a nice sunny day with fluffy clouds, they'd be up there displaying and occasionally landing on the fell. Just looking through my records, the last times I saw one there were 17th March 2004 and 23 March 2005, but others probably saw one a bit later than 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back