• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buteo ID help - Broad-winged hawk in San Francisco, CA USA ?? (1 Viewer)

goosechase

United States
Hi all- just found this site and excited to get more involved. Hello from California!

First of all, apologies for the awful photo quality. I can explain!

I was visiting a friend in San Francisco this weekend. Just before 10AM on Friday morning (8/19), I spotted two medium-sized hawks fly past my window, and one perched on a fence in a neighbor's yard. At first, I thought they were Red-shouldered hawks based on size/being common for the area.

Then I noticed the very prominent, wide, white band on the hawk's tail. That stood out to me.

Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a work meeting, my binoculars were in my car, and I have only been proper 'birding' for a few months so I have not yet invested in a nice wildlife photography setup. The best I could do was snap a grainy, far away photo with my iPhone. I did not even have a chance to crack a window to try to listen for calls.

This sighting occurred in a residential neighborhood on the northern edge of Golden Gate Park (less than a block from the park). 41st Ave between Fulton and Cabrillo.

I have been reading about broad-winged hawks in the Marin headlands area. This sighting occurred about 7 miles away from the Marin Headlands across the Golden Gate.

Would love it if anyone has insight on whether I am just looking at the likely Red-shouldered hawk, or if this is indeed a Broad-winged hawk.

Apologies that I could not get better documentation- I wish I could have too.

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0681.jpeg
    IMG_0681.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Red-shouldered hawk, adult. The camera's compression algorithm has messed up the black-and-white flight-feather pattern to produce something that didn't actually exist, but it started off as contrastingly-barred secondaries. As Fern says, the white tail-bands are the thinner ones here, which is wrong for broad-winged hawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back