• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please id of this Accipiter! sparrowhawk/shikra (1 Viewer)

Ains

Took this Accipiter today at a loss whether to determine it is shikra or sparrowhawk
Location Mount Abu Raj India

ID 0F4A1380.JPGID 0F4A1390.JPGID 0F4A1396.JPGID 0F4A1399.JPG

...in pic 4, the mesial stripe (black line in throat area)...
I hadn't looked closely at this before, but, now that I do, I rather think that the marking that is visible in that area isn't (or isn't reliably visible as) a central chin/throat-stripe?

Doesn't the breast look streaked to anyone but me. Making it a possible Besra. There is the hint of a gular stripe which can be difficult to see sometimes.

Eurasian Sparrowhawk of course has streaked throat without any real mesial stripe but sometimes one very slight resembling that may be seen. The attached photo is from Finland and this kind of pattern may be exaggerated in some photos or light conditions.

Attachments

• Accnis Mäkiluoto 20161002-BX6Q6280.jpg
    Accnis Mäkiluoto 20161002-BX6Q6280.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 24
It appears (inasmuch as it can be judged at all in this low-quality image, no offence, etc etc) as a blob, off-centre from the median line - not a central line running backwards from the chin.

It appears (inasmuch as it can be judged at all in this low-quality image, no offence, etc etc) as a blob, off-centre from the median line - not a central line running backwards from the chin.
I have to say with due respect Butty, that it looks like so many a Besra gular stripe that I have seen. And with a slight turn of the head I have seen a gular stripe almost disappear.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back