• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Verify ID - Wisconsin (1 Viewer)

birdman000

How does this sound:

#1 and #2 - Female Common yellowthroat? Not sure because the coloring doesn't seem right but they were acting "wren-like"

#3 - House Wren?

#4 - Scraggly-looking female House Finch?

#5 - Molting Indigo Bunting? It looks green in the picture and through my binos so not sure.

THANKS

Attachments

• _MG_2557.JPG
    _MG_2557.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_2559.JPG
    _MG_2559.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 112
  • _MG_2569.JPG
    _MG_2569.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 117
  • _MG_2571.JPG
    _MG_2571.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 133
  • _MG_2591.JPG
    _MG_2591.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 114
Me too. In fact, unless it is the angle, that beak is all wrong for a finch.

I meant I needed convincing that it was a Purple and not a House (culmen, anyone?). It sure looks great for a Carpodacus finch to me.

I think it's a house finch. I don't like the beak either, but there's absolutely no pattern in the face (eyebrow, malar), and I think the extra bulky look of the bill and limited curvature of the culmen can be explained by the fact that we're looking from below. Also the flank streaking looks more like house finch than purple.

Scott

Last edited:
Jizz impression of the the finch is Purple, notched tail, peaked crownand the sharp flank streaking and although the bill gives a stout impression we don´t wanna go here for obvious reasons:

http://www.greglasley.net/bluegros.html

Head pattern looks plain for a female looking Purple:

http://www.hiltonpond.org/Tab04BandOthersBirds.html

which might be a light issue.

but the culmen is straight with a slight decurve near the tip - which say´s Purple over House - although some House has straighter culmen than usuallly seen in that species.

Purple is my vote.

JanJ

Hmm. I see what JanJ is saying about the jizz, especially the raised crown. ....and I realize I was looking at the tail wrong (thought the left part was a broken twig). I think I can accept purple..but how often does a purple finch show such scant facial pattern in the east?

Scott

ah..I see I'm in good company with Chris at least. Thoroughly undecided now, but leaning toward poorly marked purple

Last edited:
I think it's a house finch. I don't like the beak either, but there's absolutely no pattern in the face (eyebrow, malar), and I think the extra bulky look of the bill and limited curvature of the culmen can be explained by the fact that we're looking from below. Also the flank streaking looks more like house finch than purple.

Scott

Well there you go - House Finch.

JanJ

Do these help?

Hi All,

A bit tough working from a single photo, but I tend to feel that the Carpodacus finch is a House rather than a Purple. I think that this is a young bird, but I would still expect some face pattern on a Purple Finch. Also, the bill looks on the short side for Purple Finch. Here is a similarly patterned House Finch:
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3641486

Versus a Purple Finch here:
http://www.geocities.com/tgrey41/Pages/PurpleFinchp.html

Chris

Attachments

• _MG_2570.JPG
    _MG_2570.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_2574.JPG
    _MG_2574.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_2575.JPG
    _MG_2575.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 70
Hi birdman000,

These do help. For me, it supports the House Finch notion.

Chris

Attachments

• finch.jpg
    finch.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back