• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Policeman Collected Rare Eggs (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Hopefully he will be suitably punished.

Full story here.

A police constable amassed a collection of 649 rare birds' eggs by stealing from nests, often while on duty for Suffolk Police, a court has heard.

Michael Upson, 52, travelled across the UK to collect eggs, but most were taken from areas near his home in Halesworth, Norwich Magistrates' Court heard.

He admitted having the eggs in his possession, contrary to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Upson, who has since retired, is due to be sentenced on Thursday.

This policeman stole eggs whilst on duty and furthermore later with another officer were on the look out for eggers! Because he has retired he gets to keep his police pension. Surely having 'done' the crime whilst on duty should mean his pension rights are taken away.

Totally effing disgraceful. He should be punished heavily as he blatantly abused his position rather than the judge trying to take into account any good he might have done when he served on the force.

This policeman stole eggs whilst on duty and furthermore later with another officer were on the look out for eggers! Because he has retired he gets to keep his police pension. Surely having 'done' the crime whilst on duty should mean his pension rights are taken away.

Completely agree . They shouldn't be allowed to " retire " whilst under suspension.

I can see the outcome of this..."Six months...suspended sentence." ie Gets away with it.:-C

Whatever makes you think they will give him as much as 6 months.
Strongly suspect he will get told he was a bad boy and not to do it again (whilst on duty). Which since he has retired he cannot.

It is a standard defence adopted by the police when facing prosecution. They retire and get to keep all their benefits, whatever the outcome, and avoid internal disciplinary proceedings (eg Hardman who killed Tomlinson in the London demonstrations had avoided prosecution or disciplinary for previous 'form'.) It would be nice to think an example could be made in this case but I fear the previous posts are near the mark.

It's such a shame that the work that the RSPB do is heavily reliant on the Police and we know that many Police forces have some really good people who care passionately about wildlife. A few bad apples does nothing though to instil confidence in our authorities however, as a few high profile situations in the news keep reminding us.

For me, when someone like this in a trusted position and a wildlife crime officer, is found to be a wildlife crimnal himself, the punishment should be multiplied many times. A bit like someone commiting abuse in an old people's care home - dispicable in my view.

The worse thing not mentioned so far is that this guy would likely have had egger friends that he would possibly have "got off" when he was instead tasked to bring them to boot.

And yet again a policeman gets caught and 'retires' with his pension intact sensu Bettison. Not only has he used his job as a cover for his law breaking but any fine will be payed out of, basically, the public purse. A person in his position should have no alternatives - maximum gaol term allowed under the law.

Chris

For me, when someone like this in a trusted position and a wildlife crime officer, is found to be a wildlife crimnal himself, the punishment should be multiplied many times. A bit like someone commiting abuse in an old people's care home - dispicable in my view.

The worse thing not mentioned so far is that this guy would likely have had egger friends that he would possibly have "got off" when he was instead tasked to bring them to boot.

I do agree with your sentiments. Do we know he was a wildlife crime officer;I haven't seen that anywhere else. But if so that makes this 10 times worse. I was there during the development of the Wildlife Crime network and Partnership against Wildlife Crime (with the help of the RSPB / Wildlife Trusts) and it is something like this that can undo that work so easily.

Bob,
he may not have been a formal Wildlife Crime Officer but I am led to believe that he was an officer who did work on wildlife crime including egg theft.

I will never understand this.
I can just about understand egg collecting although I am dead against it.
But why would anyone want, for example here, 50+ Woodlark eggs?
Why not one of each species which is bad enough???
Would 100 Woodlark eggs be enough? 200?

James

I bet the twit wouldn't have done it if it wasn't "naughty". It frightens me that such a sad and petty individual could apply the law to me!

His pension should be paid into conservation of species involved.

Would it be legal to publish photos of all of these egg collectors online?

The amount of them that you hear have re-offended after a light sentence, with out catching them 'in the act' its only the RSPB & the police that are tracking these folk. We're all over the UK, all of the time and constantly looking for birds and nest sites.
...or print them all off & stick them on the back page of our note books? ;)

Would it be legal to publish photos of all of these egg collectors online ;)

As long as the photograph is in the public domain and, as a courtesy, you have some mention of the photographer / source ( see #11 ) then you are perfectly at liberty to use photographs in a legal fashion, ie as a means of identification.

Chris ;)

Sentence report.

A Suffolk police constable who amassed a collection of 649 rare birds' eggs has been given a suspended jail term.

Michael Upson, 52, of Sotherton, Suffolk, admitted possessing eggs from protected birds including marsh harriers, warblers and nightjars.

Norwich Magistrates' Court heard Upson was arrested after RSPB inspectors and police officers searched his house.

Upson, who is no longer a police officer, received a 14-week sentence, suspended for 12 months.

He must also pay £120 in legal costs and complete 150 hours of unpaid work in the community.

So much for a suitable punishment. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back