• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Policeman Collected Rare Eggs (2 Viewers)

Sentence report.

A Suffolk police constable who amassed a collection of 649 rare birds' eggs has been given a suspended jail term.

Michael Upson, 52, of Sotherton, Suffolk, admitted possessing eggs from protected birds including marsh harriers, warblers and nightjars.

Norwich Magistrates' Court heard Upson was arrested after RSPB inspectors and police officers searched his house.

Upson, who is no longer a police officer, received a 14-week sentence, suspended for 12 months.

He must also pay £120 in legal costs and complete 150 hours of unpaid work in the community.

So much for a suitable punishment. :-C

So a glorified parking fine - no wonder wildlife crime in this country countinues to flourish!!:C

I don't see the problem, all he he did was nick a few bird's eggs. It's not like he killed someone and he has got a £120 fine. Justice done.

Oh, wait a minute. He was a serving officer and committed crimes while on duty? So he was paid while committing crimes? And he gets to keep his pension because he was allowed to retire whilst under investigation?

As Raptor Persecution put it; That'll learn him.

(Deliberate mis-use of learn, not teach by the way and a massive dose of sarcasm on my part)

I sometimes wonder whether magistrates and judiciary work in another world or still think we're in a Victorian age believing that £120 is a lot of money.

The relaity is that it's less that the fuel costs of getting to Scotland to rob a nest and probably far less than the individual train fares to Norwich for RSPB and others bringing this case.

Ironically, if "plod" catch you speeding to see a rarity (heaven forbid this would ever happen though) then the fine is 50% or more of the fine you get if you rob 600+ eggs from schedule 1 birds? Or does the "fine calculator" factor in whether you're a fine upstanding member of our police force?

Brings a whole new wave of cynicism through me when I hear politicians talking of fairness and transparency.

If the full 'weight' of the law cannot come down hard enough on those supposed to be upholding it then there is no hope! To add insult to injury his 'duties' included bird 'protection'......

With friends like this who needs enemies?

As regards his pension. The monies that he has aid in during his years of faithfull public service are his but the Police, using 'our' money, substantially 'enhance' the pension as well as a big Foff retirement payment.

These people should not be allowed to retire pending investigation they should be suitably punished and that includes a jail sentence where 'real' punishment would (hopefully) take place.

Attached is a face-on photo that is in the public domain for anybody who lives local and has some spare eggs.......

Laurie :t:

Attachments

• Upson.jpg
    Upson.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 26
He didn't get a £120 fine, that was costs. He got 150 hours community service which is far in excess of a speeding fine! I'm not saying it was proportionate but when you want to rant at least get your facts right. People have got 150 hours for causing death by drink driving.

Last edited:
Its difficult, to us as nature lovers its a particularly dispicable crime but in the wider sense its unfortunately hard to justify a harsher punishment when you consider the sentances for other crimes.

He didn't get a £120 fine, that was costs. He got 150 hours community service which is far in excess of a speeding fine! I'm not saying it was proportionate but when you want to rant at least get your facts right. People have got 150 hours for causing death by drink driving.

thanks mono for correcting my rant - either way he's out of pocket by £120 and will be spending some of his retirement on services to the community.

I'm sure there are plenty of instances where people have commited heineous crimes and have got away with little or low punishment but if we're saying that this sentence is OK for our man, then fine. If we're saying that sentencing per se often doesn't act as a real punishment or deterrent then that's a completly bigger subject not for BF in my view.

Not related to egg theft but compare the sentencing proposed here for being found guilty of killing a Bald Eagle in US.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/protect/laws.html

If a simple case involving around 2hrs at the local magistrates court results in £500 costs from the prosecution solicitor, I would guess that costs were far higher and the taxpayer has paid most of the bill

Pretty pointless after the nests have been destroyed.

Put into context, in this part of the world, the police have powers to impound and impose a spot fine of several hundred pounds should you commit the civil offence of keeping/using a motor vehicle without paying vehicle exise duty.

Or be fined up to £1,000 for not purchasing a TV licence.

You don't collect over 600 rare birds eggs with a few attempts. This must have been done over years.

his punishment is to have to contribute £120 towards costs. 150 hours of service, assuming a working day of 8 hours equates to just under 19 days. 30 minutes of each day is allowed as a lunch break which equals 9 1/2hrs. As a self employed person, I do not receive any pay for breaks.

Providing he pays the £120 within an agreed timescale and performs the community service satisfactorily and is not found guilty of another criminal act within 12 months from the date of sentencing that will be the end of the affair

Providing he pays the £120 within an agreed timescale and performs the community service satisfactorily and is not found guilty of another criminal act within 12 months from the date of sentencing that will be the end of the affair
Except he will have a criminal record. If that matters much to him ...

Much as I dislike the bloody-thirsty reactions to wildlife crime characteristic of most threads on the subject, I must say that the penalty in this case seems ludicrously inadequate. I don't know if I'd advocate actual jail time, but a really stiff fine for habitual criminality on this scale would surely be appropriate?

Much as I dislike the bloody-thirsty reactions to wildlife crime characteristic of most threads on the subject, I must say that the penalty in this case seems ludicrously inadequate. I don't know if I'd advocate actual jail time, but a really stiff fine for habitual criminality on this scale would surely be appropriate?

Agreed. Wonder how many nests were robbed, must have been over 100 possibly as many as 300

Pathetic to have a so called pillar of the community doing such a wicked thing to wildlife. :C:C:C

His social circle of friends in the legal world would have backed him up, and given their moral support to get him out of his 'crime'

His 'punishment' is more suitable for a 17 year old who has been naughty on Saturday night!!!!

Removing his PAYE pension would have been a better punishment!!

Regards
Kathy
x

His social circle of friends in the legal world would have backed him up, and given their moral support to get him out of his 'crime'

I can understand the sentiments Kathy but it was of course his friends in the legal world that investigated and took him to court.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back