• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pomarine or Parasitic Jaeger? (1 Viewer)

HGWBirder

Hi all,

during a migration study in October 2007 in Azerbaijan (south-east Europe) I photographed this jaeger/skua at the Caspian sea. Surely identified were only parasitic jaegers, but there was this bird and I took a photo of it. For me this is a candidate for pomarine jaeger but Im not sure. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Michael

Attachments

• raubmoewe01.jpg
    raubmoewe01.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 436
  • raubmoewe02.jpg
    raubmoewe02.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 472
Hi all,

during a migration study in October 2007 in Azerbaijan (south-east Europe) I photographed this jaeger/skua at the Caspian sea. Surely identified were only parasitic jaegers, but there was this bird and I took a photo of it. For me this is a candidate for pomarine jaeger but Im not sure. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Michael

Sticking my neck out I'd say this looks pretty good. Pot-bellied, with a dark-tipped heavy-looking bill, broad wings, short tail, greyish shawl (or 'nape') and general heavy look, with a double white comma mark on the underwing and a restricted white flash on the upperwing.
HOWEVER, immature skuas are a bit difficult when in photos, so I may be corrected if someone points out any obvious things on the 'against' side.

Cheers,

I'd have no doubts calling this a Pom on stucture - would like to see a bit of upper/under tc covert barring, but am more than willing to put the lack of appearance of them down to the quality of the photo.

I'd have no doubts calling this a Pom on stucture - would like to see a bit of upper/under tc covert barring, but am more than willing to put the lack of appearance of them down to the quality of the photo.

and some darker juv Poms are pretty uniform anyway

Rob

The second photo certainly looks pretty good for a Pom I would have thought, looks seriously chunky.

As Jane said be nice to see some barring. Distant skuas, and bad photos not a good combination for obtaining conclusive ID's in my experience.

Looks fine for a Pomerine to me, too. The first pic has a suggestion of a two-toned bill as Phil points out and the structure in the second looks good (although it may be accentuated by the max. upbeat of the wings) - still ok to my rheumy old eye.

rob stoff; said:
and some darker juv Poms are pretty uniform anyway

Rob

Agreed - but they ought look took black in a photo like this!

Pretty sure you'd see the barring in a slightly clearer picture.

In field this bird seemed to me chunkier than the other jaegers and the wing beats were slow and powerful. unforunatly i have only the experience of 20 parasitic and 20 unidentified jaegers and this bird was the closest ever for me. i photographed with a focal length of 400mm.

This bird, in additon to other features mentioned, seems just to be lethally bulky, even before opening up the picture. The jizz of it and everything else points towards Pom for me.

Keel shape, and the sheer bulk of the bird (although, as Tim already pointed out, this may be accentuated by the upbeat of the wings) make this unlikely to be anything other than a Pom.

cheers
martin (whose thoughts are drifting forward to July/August/September already...)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back