• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poncho vs. Rain Jacket and Pants (2 Viewers)

In humid climates a poncho is the coolest rain protection for the full body and it can protect a day pack or camera bag or binos as well. In general when there is a downpour the birds retreat and are much less evident. Usually better to wait for the rain to stop.

For walking through wet foliage I take a lightweight pair of rain pants that have zippers for the legs so I can put them on or take them off while leaving my boots on.

In humid climates a poncho is the coolest rain protection for the full body and it can protect a day pack or camera bag or binos as well. In general when there is a downpour the birds retreat and are much less evident. Usually better to wait for the rain to stop.

For walking through wet foliage I take a lightweight pair of rain pants that have zippers for the legs so I can put them on or take them off while leaving my boots on.
Makes sense. Thanks!

When it pours water in the rainforest, you usually see zero birds.

So the best recommendation I can give, is:
1. Plan your birding trip in the dry season;
2. If that doesn't work, don't pretend to be a commando / warrior that has to go out in the pooring rain and kill the Predator deep in the forest.
3. If it rains, go to (or better: stay) at the lodge and sip a coffee on the porch, watch the lodge feeders and check birdforum.
ps: flowery umbrellas attract hummingbirds.
pps: if you google 'umbrella hat' you get some of those attractive to hummingbirds.
ppps: I don't know if the jellyfish would attract anything else than seabirds...!
1686594528155.png

2. If that doesn't work, don't pretend to be a commando / warrior that has to go out in the pooring rain and kill the Predator deep in the forest.
3. If it rains, go to (or better: stay) at the lodge and sip a coffee on the porch, watch the lodge feeders and check birdforum.
pps: if you google 'umbrella hat' you get some of those attractive to hummingbirds.
ppps: I don't know if the jellyfish would attract anything else than seabirds...!
True, but I still saw some cool Chocó species in driving rain. My glasses + binoculars were virtually unusable though.
I should have taken an umbrella (a poncho is more suitable to keep a backpack dry).

View attachment 1515142
Thanks for your input, Temmie. I DO try to do my travel birding during the dry season or the shoulder of the wet season but that doesn't mean that when I'm hiking quite a distance from a car or lodge I won't find myself in a downpour. In Nepal, recently, we had intermittent rain, sometimes quite heavy. Then there's also the light rain all day long scenario, hence my question. (I wonder if the jellyfish had comes in red.)

Ofcourse you have those events when you are committed to wait out the rain far away from shelter.
Contrary to my reaction above, even I do those kind of of crazy things...!

I consider a (large enough to cover your back!) umbrella as quintessential for birding when you face a full day of rain.
It's a bit different when you have intermittent (soft) rain, in that case, a jacket and cap are enough for me.

Throughout the years, I learned to attach my umbrella to the front of my backpack, so I could use both hands. I have been thinking about an umbrella hat, but I honestly don't know anyone who tried one yet, and while it seems handy, it's a bit goofy as well, even without the jellyfish design!

Last time I birded in the rain for a full day (Itatiaia, Brazil), I saw 30 species, of which 4 were lifers. I was completely soaked, risking getting sick, feeling totally worn out..., not having brought my umbrella (only a light rain jacket). You tell me if it was worth it, I didn't have much better views than the pictures below:

Araucaria Tit-spinetail
1686666134694.png

Itatiaia Tit-spinetail. I saw this one a day later as well...
1686666188985.png

Golden-winged Cacique:
1686666211210.png

Buff-throated Warbling-finch
1686666246734.png

Ofcourse you have those events when you are committed to wait out the rain far away from shelter.
Contrary to my reaction above, even I do those kind of of crazy things...!

I consider a (large enough to cover your back!) umbrella as quintessential for birding when you face a full day of rain.
It's a bit different when you have intermittent (soft) rain, in that case, a jacket and cap are enough for me.

Throughout the years, I learned to attach my umbrella to the front of my backpack, so I could use both hands. I have been thinking about an umbrella hat, but I honestly don't know anyone who tried one yet, and while it seems handy, it's a bit goofy as well, even without the jellyfish design!

Last time I birded in the rain for a full day (Itatiaia, Brazil), I saw 30 species, of which 4 were lifers. I was completely soaked, risking getting sick, feeling totally worn out..., not having brought my umbrella (only a light rain jacket). You tell me if it was worth it, I didn't have much better views than the pictures below:

Araucaria Tit-spinetail
View attachment 1515222

Itatiaia Tit-spinetail. I saw this one a day later as well...
View attachment 1515223

Golden-winged Cacique:
View attachment 1515224

Buff-throated Warbling-finch
View attachment 1515225
I just returned from a trip to Nepal and India. I suffered 6 weeks of GI problems, a constant very painful knee from trekking on thousands of stone steps, an upper respiratory infection that lasted for almost 2 months (tough to stay quiet while birding and hacking and coughing), and I was attacked by a swarm of Giant Honey Bees in India where I sustained 7 stings on my face and arms. Still, my 2 month trip, it was totally worthwhile!

A little late to the discussion but I have spent years (literally, 1200 days or more) birding in the tropics.

For me, an umbrella is my wet weather gear. A waterproof backpack to protect anything not waterproof if it really buckets down. Gum boots as appropriate. Poncho / impermeable clothing just makes you sweat too much and steam up, and doesn’t keep your optics or head or glasses (if you have them) dry.

Once the temperature drops or it gets windy, ponchos or regular rain gear can get pretty useful, but for lowland tropics it is really worth just getting used to birding with an umbrella. It’s not hard to adapt and you can bird right through moderate rain with dry optics and without turning into a sauna.

I just returned from a trip to Nepal and India. I suffered 6 weeks of GI problems, a constant very painful knee from trekking on thousands of stone steps, an upper respiratory infection that lasted for almost 2 months (tough to stay quiet while birding and hacking and coughing), and I was attacked by a swarm of Giant Honey Bees in India where I sustained 7 stings on my face and arms. Still, my 2 month trip, it was totally worthwhile!

Man oh man - sounds like you had a riot of time - Great memories for sure!

A little late to the discussion but I have spent years (literally, 1200 days or more) birding in the tropics.

For me, an umbrella is my wet weather gear. A waterproof backpack to protect anything not waterproof if it really buckets down. Gum boots as appropriate. Poncho / impermeable clothing just makes you sweat too much and steam up, and doesn’t keep your optics or head or glasses (if you have them) dry.

Once the temperature drops or it gets windy, ponchos or regular rain gear can get pretty useful, but for lowland tropics it is really worth just getting used to birding with an umbrella. It’s not hard to adapt and you can bird right through moderate rain with dry optics and without turning into a sauna.
Thanks, and I've come to almost the same conclusion. I'll pack a rain jacket, rain pants and I'm going to look into suitable umbrellas. Do you carry your umbrella in your hand or do you have a hands-free attachment?

Thanks, and I've come to almost the same conclusion. I'll pack a rain jacket, rain pants and I'm going to look into suitable umbrellas. Do you carry your umbrella in your hand or do you have a hands-free attachment?

Mostly in my hands and you get good at juggling it and bins at the same time. If I’m stood looking at a flowering tree or something, for instance, I will sometimes try to rig it into a shirt pocket or the like to go hands free for a bit, but it mostly doesn’t work very well to do that.

I fully agree with Josh. During my earliest Neotropical birding experiences I tried wearing ponchos or rain jackets but the sweat is such that you end up getting even wetter and with foggier optics. So to me an umbrella is the way

Mostly in my hands and you get good at juggling it and bins at the same time. If I’m stood looking at a flowering tree or something, for instance, I will sometimes try to rig it into a shirt pocket or the like to go hands free for a bit, but it mostly doesn’t work very well to do that.
I also take photos whenever possible, so this should be fun! Ordered both an umbrella in a camo color and a hands-free bracket to put it in. Neither have arrived yet. Fingers are crossed that this will work. Don't know if I mentioned this but I'm birding 23 days in Sulawesi and Halmahera. I'm also going to be testing 4 shirt fabrics in that god-forsaken humidity.

Interesting topic,
I’m friends and acquaintances with a cross section of field guides, local birders and biologists in Central America and every one of them packs an umbrella as their primary wet weather gear. Very few rain jackets, sometimes a light poncho but only as a “let’s just give up and go back to the car or lodge” last resort. As others have mentioned elsewhere even light weight ponchos and rain jackets can get too hot.

When we’re participating in bird counts for the reserves and parks during the rainy season gear consists of rubber boots and umbrellas. I’ll see rain jackets consistently at the higher elevations (8000 ft/ 2500 meters and up) but it’s a lot cooler up there so getting caught in the rain can get chilly.

Handling an umbrella, bins, scopes and cameras all at the same time is a hassle but everyone seems to rub along just fine with the drawbacks. Dropping an open umbrella on the ground is a common tactic if it means getting that Id or shot.

We’ve sometimes noticed that mixed flocks in forests will often become very active right before and just after a sudden downpour. If the canopy is dense the birds will sometimes drop closer to the ground and continue foraging.

Umbrellas can have other less well known positive effects as well.
We were birding at a higher elevation in the pouring rain when I was startled by the sudden appearance of a friendly Collared Whitestart. It darted very close to my face and kept flying back and forth and in and out from under my umbrella. It took a moment to realize it was flycatching a small cloud of gnats that were hiding from the rain under my umbrella.

A rainy and unanticipated magical experience to say the least.

Interesting topic,
I’m friends and acquaintances with a cross section of field guides, local birders and biologists in Central America and every one of them packs an umbrella as their primary wet weather gear. Very few rain jackets, sometimes a light poncho but only as a “let’s just give up and go back to the car or lodge” last resort. As others have mentioned elsewhere even light weight ponchos and rain jackets can get too hot.

When we’re participating in bird counts for the reserves and parks during the rainy season gear consists of rubber boots and umbrellas. I’ll see rain jackets consistently at the higher elevations (8000 ft/ 2500 meters and up) but it’s a lot cooler up there so getting caught in the rain can get chilly.

Handling an umbrella, bins, scopes and cameras all at the same time is a hassle but everyone seems to rub along just fine with the drawbacks. Dropping an open umbrella on the ground is a common tactic if it means getting that Id or shot.

We’ve sometimes noticed that mixed flocks in forests will often become very active right before and just after a sudden downpour. If the canopy is dense the birds will sometimes drop closer to the ground and continue foraging.

Umbrellas can have other less well known positive effects as well.
We were birding at a higher elevation in the pouring rain when I was startled by the sudden appearance of a friendly Collared Whitestart. It darted very close to my face and kept flying back and forth and in and out from under my umbrella. It took a moment to realize it was flycatching a small cloud of gnats that were hiding from the rain under my umbrella.

A rainy and unanticipated magical experience to say the least.
Great story and info, Bryan. I've purchased a camo-patterned umbrella with a hands-free harness that is less than optimal but just might work well enough to allow me to photograph while staying dry.

Great story and info, Bryan. I've purchased a camo-patterned umbrella with a hands-free harness that is less than optimal but just might work well enough to allow me to photograph while staying dry.
Good to hear, the camo is a nice touch.
On one bird count someone brought a hot pink umbrella, Hummers were a bit curious but not sure if it kept the passerine’s away or not.
Saw a guy photographing Quetzals who had a big umbrella clamped to his camera and tripod, looked professional and comfy.
Out of desperation I once cobbled together a quick and dirty hands free umbrella thingy. It sort of worked but I suspect a properly designed and built version would be loads better.
Another friend stuffs the handle of his umbrella in the water bottle pocket of his backpack and lashes it in place. Bit wobbly but seems ok.
The wife and I will sometimes take turns to hold the umbrella if that shot is deemed to be really important😉

I’d be interested to hear how your rig works out. Always looking for a better way.

Good to hear, the camo is a nice touch.
On one bird count someone brought a hot pink umbrella, Hummers were a bit curious but not sure if it kept the passerine’s away or not.
Saw a guy photographing Quetzals who had a big umbrella clamped to his camera and tripod, looked professional and comfy.
Out of desperation I once cobbled together a quick and dirty hands free umbrella thingy. It sort of worked but I suspect a properly designed and built version would be loads better.
Another friend stuffs the handle of his umbrella in the water bottle pocket of his backpack and lashes it in place. Bit wobbly but seems ok.
The wife and I will sometimes take turns to hold the umbrella if that shot is deemed to be really important😉

I’d be interested to hear how your rig works out. Always looking for a better way.
If you look higher in this thread, you'll see the recommendation of the Huriia umbrella holder and the Montbell umbrella. I bought both. I tried them on in my living room and it appears as though the combo will work although I will probably get a bit wet as the umbrella is just a bit smaller than I'd like, but could probably go through underbrush better than a larger one.

If you look higher in this thread, you'll see the recommendation of the Huriia umbrella holder and the Montbell umbrella. I bought both. I tried them on in my living room and it appears as though the combo will work although I will probably get a bit wet as the umbrella is just a bit smaller than I'd like, but could probably go through underbrush better than a larger one.
The hands free kit looks like it’d work nicely.
For fun I did a search for “hands free umbrellas” and clicked on image. Wow, folks have given the whole hands free thing a lot of thought. I even found the classic “umbrella hat” in camo!
Some of them smack of a solution in search of a problem but I’d give them a gold star for creativity.
here’s a few screen grabs.

IMG_3190.jpegIMG_3187.jpegIMG_3189.jpegIMG_3191.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3188.jpeg
    IMG_3188.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back