• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Popular" misspelt bird names (3 Viewers)

Is that 'write' or 'right'...? ;)
Mate always spells Curlew as 'Cerlew'....and referring back to an older post, my Dad never uses hyphens for birds either - drives me mad!!
And Ed, I've always have called it a 'Jibberbird' too! Thanks for the heads up ;)

Skylark

The BOU British list has it as Sky Lark. but then there is Skylark underneath it. Which one is write and why have the two verviosn in the list?
The British List (7th edition, 2006) lists the originally proposed international English name ('Sky Lark') and the British vernacular name ('Skylark'). But the international English name ultimately adopted by IOC (v1.0 Gill & Wright 2006, through to v2.10 Gill & Donsker 2011) was actually 'Eurasian Skylark'.

So now IOC, BLI, AERC and HBW use 'Eurasian Skylark'; BOURC (Dec 2010) uses 'Skylark'; AOU and Cornell (Clements/eBird) use 'Sky Lark'. :smoke:

Last edited:
A new one, so forgiveable I guess..

is it...

Deserta's Petrel
Desertas' Petrel
Desertas's Petrel

or is it actually..

Desertas Petrel

The Portuguese name of the islets is 'Islas Desertas', so I would hazard a guess that your fourth suggestion is correct.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back