• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porphyrio alleni Thomson, 1842 (2 Viewers)

Taphrospilus

Porphyrio alleni Thomson, 1842 OD v.10=no.62-66 (1842) - The Annals and magazine of natural history - Biodiversity Heritage Library
No direct dedication. But from tile page 1 - A narrative of the expedition sent by Her Majesty's Government to the River Niger, in 1841 under the command of Captain H.D. Trotter - Biodiversity Heritage Library I would agree to William Allen.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Allen's Gallinule Porphyrio alleni Thomson, 1842
Rear-Admiral William Allen (1793-1864) was an English naval officer who was involved in fighting the African slave trade. He led three expeditions to Africa (two 1832, one 1841), allt the Niger. Allen collected the gallinule type specimen at Idda, near the River Niger. Two mammals are named after him.

Rear-Adm. William Allen (1793-1864) Royal Navy, who took part in the Niger Expeditions 1832, 1841-1842 (Porphyrio).

Björn recently reported that Mearns & Mearns 2022 have him as:
William Allen (1793–1864), ... "... British naval officer ..."

If Wikpedia is correct William Allen (Royal Navy officer) - Wikipedia he was
b. 25 November 1792 in Weymouth, Dorset d. 23 January 1864 in Weymouth
Date came from Allen, William (1792–1864), naval officer and writer

Not birds:
Sciurocheirus alleni Waterhouse, 1838 OD pt.4-8 (1836-1840) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library
The animal here described was presented to the Zoological Society by Lieut. Wm. Allen, R.N., Corres. Memb.
Hylomyscus alleni (Waterhouse 1838) OD pt.4-8 (1836-1840) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library
I have named the species after Lieut. W. Allen, R.N., Corr. Mem. by whom it was discovered and presented to the Zoological Society.

If 1792 is correct may a point to discuss.

Death record tells us only that he was 71 years old. So as he died 23 January 1864 there is indeed a good chance that he was born 1792. And there is a record (not seen)

Name William Allen
Gender Male
Baptism Date 25 Nov 1792
Baptism Place All Saints,Chichester,Sussex,England
Father Peter Allen
Mother Harriet
FHL Film Number 504430

But I have no idea if it is him. Here William Allen born Pimlico, London. And https://weymouthtowncouncil.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Parish-Records-1856-1996.pdf p. 8 and The Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Review. I would clearly go for 1792 especially with what's written in The Genleman's Magazin.

Attachments

• William allen death.jpg
    William allen death.jpg
    772.5 KB · Views: 3
  • William allen will.jpg
    William allen will.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Death record tells us only that he was 71 years old. So as he died 23 January 1864 there is indeed a good chance that he was born 1792. And there is a record (not seen)

NameWilliam Allen
GenderMale
Baptism Date25 Nov 1792
Baptism PlaceAll Saints,Chichester,Sussex,England
FatherPeter Allen
MotherHarriet
FHL Film Number504430

But I have no idea if it is him.

He's generally said to be born in Dorset (where he also died), which indeed makes a baptism record from Sussex a bit suspect...
And it's a very common name.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back