• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montifringilla adamsi Adams, 1859 and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Montifringilla adamsi Adams, 1859 pt.26 (1858) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library As Moore MS not dedicated to himself
See also p here pt.26 (1858) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library
A. Leith Adams, M. B. Surgeon 22nd Regiment
Alaudala raytal adamsi (Hume, 1871) OD ser.3:v.1=no.1-4 (1871) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library as he refered to pt.26 (1858) - Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library of course the same person.

Prinia adamsi Jerdon, 1863 OD
As Dr. Adams appears to be a faithful observer, I have ventured to include this bird on his authority alone.

Adams's Snowfinch Montifringilla adamsi Adams, 1859 [Alt. Tibetan Snowfinch]
Sand Lark ssp. Calandrella raytal adamsi Hume, 1871
Andrew Leith Adams (1826–1882) was a physician, naturalist and geologist. He was an army surgeon in India (c.1848) with the 22nd Foot (Cheshire Regiment). He wrote an influential report on the cholera epidemic in Malta, where the regiment was stationed (c.1865). He became an academic after retiring from the army, being variously Professor of Zoology at the Royal College of Science in Ireland and Professor of Natural History at Trinity College, Dublin. He wrote Wanderings of a Naturalist in India, the Western Himalaya and Cashmere (1867) and Notes of a Naturalist in the Nile Valley and Malta (1871). Adams wrote the snowfinch description (1859), accidentally naming it after himself by making reference in print to a previously unpublished description by Frederick Moore of the East India Company's London Museum.
I would doubt b. 1826 and the accidentally naming. If the name was on MS it is not accidentally in my opinion.

Andrew Leith Adams (1827-1882) British Army surgeon in India 1848, naturalist, geologist (subsp. Alaudala raytal, Montifringilla, syn. Prinia hodgsonii).
Here I would go indeed for Scottish but I am aware that nationalities are always a point for different opinions.

Björn recently reported that Mearns & Mearns 2022 have him as:
Mearns & Mearns: [Vol. 2: 398–399] Andrew Leith Adams (1827–1882), ... "Scottish physician, naturalist, palaeontologist and geologist

That he is Scottish may come from Encyclopædia Britannica 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Adams, Andrew Leith - Wikisource, the free online library

Picture of him Andrew Leith Adams - Wikipedia. If German Wikipedia is correct

b. 21. March 1827 in Bellfield, Banchory, Kincardineshire - d. 29. July 1882 in Queenstown, Cobh im County Cork

Feel free to add anything of value to this thread.

Last edited:
I use ‘British Army’ and 'Royal Navy' as catch-alls for any UK citizen, regardless of their birth-place, for the sake of consistency and brevity. There are perhaps a few exceptions for the army of the Hon. East India Company, but I cannot recall them presently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back