• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Horned Lark in Belgium (2 Viewers)

Hello, yesterday morning I heard a strange sound while migration counting. I was recording and afterward I came to the conclusion that it could be a Horned Lark's migration call. It is very rare in my region (Limburg, Belgium) and I am not sure. Could somebody confirm, and if I am wrong correct me?

Attachments

• 2023-08-24_onbekend_trektellen.mp3
    74.6 KB
Even if this was recorded in America I wouldn't be convinced that it's a Horned Lark.
Considering that there is only two August eBird records anywhere remotely near to Belgium, no, there's no way to confirm this as a Horned Lark with this kind of recording quality.

Even if this was recorded in America I wouldn't be convinced that it's a Horned Lark.
Considering that there is only two August eBird records anywhere remotely near to Belgium, no, there's no way to confirm this as a Horned Lark with this kind of recording quality.
You are right, the recording quality is very poor. But note that eBird is barely used in Belgium. "Waarnemingen.be" is the most used site, but that are very few observations as well on there.

These are definitely Yellow Wagtails.

I did once note that Horned Larks in the US can sound very much like this.
Thanks for the suggestion, I also thought of this, but the spectrogram is not correct for this species. Although it is possible that it is not correct because of the quality. But look at the spectrogram from this sound and other Yellow Wagtails, for example: Western Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava) :: xeno-canto. The spectrogram of the Wagtail goes down a lot more than this sound.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding.png
    Schermafbeelding.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
this sonogram doesn't show much, you have to filter it. I think it might be the voice of a yellow wagtail.
below, a little more visible

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 17
Look at the soft calls in the background of this one and you'll see shapes that fit: XC670048 Western Yellow Wagtail (Motacilla flava)
I see and hear Yellow Wagtails every day and your calls are really typical for a flock.
They are also common on migration currently!
I see you're right now, a new call for me! I always had the impression that the call was more like 'psiew', witch in this case is not. Thanks for the determination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back