• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible ortolan bunting in Belgium (1 Viewer)

Hello, a couple days ago while migration counting I hear a sound wich I think could be a ortolan bunting. I could be wrong but would like to check/be sure. There are a lot of others sounds in the recording, but the call is at the first, third and seventh second (see sonogram). I hope someone knows, thanks already!
Stan

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-09-27 145030 (1).png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-09-27 145030 (1).png
    323 KB · Views: 34
  • trektellen_2023-09-24.mp3
    158.8 KB
I can't distinguish anything as described - on decent sound equipment.
I get seriously worried about the idea of trying to pull worthwhile remotely-reliable data out of recordings of unseen birds when the sound being groped for is so tiny/trivial/brief/faint and the recording quality so poor. No offence.

Hello Stan,

two different opinions came into my mind:

one is in agreement with Buttys thoughts: its a difficlt recording for me too. And I regular struggle to ID calls from recordings, although I heard plenty of them and dont have difficulties to ID them in the field. I still search for answers/explanations, and hearing the files on different devices and volumes regular dont help. So Buttys comment is helpful for me and I hope for you too. Thanks Butty!

But I see or better hear where you come from. The calls sounds right for Ortolan Bunting for me too. I heard them quite regular in the last years. But I struggle to identify the calls with confidence (especially when Ortolan is a rare bird in your area) for the reasons Butty mentioned. And please see my other comments and corrections from others here on BF about call ID.

On more but: I know of some people with much more experience with birdsoundID and recording. So I hope for you and me, that someon can identify your recording with confidence.

As said, it sounds ok for an Ortolan for me too. But I am not confident and therefore wouldnt advice to say its a confirmed Ortolan Bunting from my comment.
No offence you know.

I can't distinguish anything as described - on decent sound equipment.
I get seriously worried about the idea of trying to pull worthwhile remotely-reliable data out of recordings of unseen birds when the sound being groped for is so tiny/trivial/brief/faint and the recording quality so poor. No offence.
Hi Butty, I am not "trying to pull out data". I am just trying to identify the bird, and for the recording to be better, with my audio equipment, the bird would pretty much have to sit on my recorder :). So if I don't try to identify this bird I would pretty much have to stop migration counting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back