• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Power Pack (1 Viewer)

stanacko

Hi
Do any of you good folks know if Maplins do a power pack that is ok to use
with the Contax SL300rt/Kyocera fine cam SL400r I have one that I use with
the cool pix 995 and it seems to go on for ever.also I would like to know the
voltage of the Contax/Kyocera it dont state in the specs.
Thanks in advance.
Stan.

I have searched the net for a power pack but none seem to be available so I built my own.
There is an internet site with full details of how to build one but it uses 4 c type batteries to make a 5volt 4000ma battery pack, I have used aa type batteries and subtituted a battery holder to hold 4 aa batteries. so my pack is 5volts @ 2300 ma.

see this web site http://www.camerashed.co.uk/project9-1.asp you only need part 1 of the project.

I bought all my parts from N.R. Bardwell of sheffield for less than £2.50 (excluding batteries)
http://www.bardwells.co.uk the tel Num is on the web site

Last edited:
Hi
Sounds like a great idea, much cheaper than buying a ready made power pack.
Is there any chance that you could list the parts you got from bardwells? My brother is an electrical engineer and is willing to make me one of these if I get the parts, but I don't have much idea of what I should be buying.
Thanks Bob

bob hastie said:
Hi
Sounds like a great idea, much cheaper than buying a ready made power pack.
Is there any chance that you could list the parts you got from bardwells? My brother is an electrical engineer and is willing to make me one of these if I get the parts, but I don't have much idea of what I should be buying.
Thanks Bob

This is the parts list Bob

1 x 4 AA Battery Holder with pp3 type connectors ( the square type )
1 x pp3 type battery connector
1 x 1.7mm x 4mm coaxial dc plug
1 metre 2 core dc cable ( I used 2.5 amp rating )
heat shrink sleeving the size 1 core of the above cable ( this is to insulate the joints)

1 x Inline fuse holder ( optional )
1 x 800 ma fuse to suit the above holder.( optional )

I decided to put a fuse in line (for safety), if you check the specification plate bottom of the of the ac power adaper you will see that the output voltage supply is 5 volts rated at 1700 ma, ( for the contax SL 300RT ) but I have used the 800 ma fuse with no problems.
This battery pack will actually supply 4.8 volts at 2300 ma if you use 2300 ma nimh.

for construction details see the web address refered to in my reply earlier in this thread.

Its worth getting more than 1 battery holder if you carry spare batteries with you, they only cost about 60 pence and are ideal for slipping in you pocket complete with spare batteries

Peteg

Hi
Many thanks for listing the parts for the power pack,its a lot cheaper building it your self. I got all my bits and pieces from Maplins and have now completed it. What size
batteries ie ma nimh did you use? I notice you stated the power came out at 4.8 volts
at 2300 ma is this ok as the spec for the contax quotes some thing like 3.5 volts.
Once again many thanks
Stan

stanacko said:
Hi
Many thanks for listing the parts for the power pack,its a lot cheaper building it your self. I got all my bits and pieces from Maplins and have now completed it. What size
batteries ie ma nimh did you use? I notice you stated the power came out at 4.8 volts
at 2300 ma is this ok as the spec for the contax quotes some thing like 3.5 volts.
Once again many thanks
Stan

Hi Stan

regarding battery size (ma) you can use whatever size NIMH batteries you happen to have, I stated 2300 ma because they happen to be the largest I have, but I also have some 2000 ma and 1500 ma which can be used, the larger the size in ma , the longer they will last.
2300 ma is about 3 x larger than the battery supplied and should last 3 x longer.
regarding the voltage, the supplied AC charger supplies 5 Volts so there should be no problem with 4.8 volts.

Peteg

Last edited:
Yes, I bought a couple of spare batteries (800mah not 780 incidentally) and a charger from this supplier. They arrived within 5 days, which is quicker than some UK suppliers can manage. The battery, when charged by this charger, does seem (?) to last much longer than when charged 'in camera'.
I did have to carefully scrape the edge off the hole where the battery fits into the charger to allow the battery to pop out when released. No big deal.
I have purchased items from this supplier before and have been very happy with the products.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back