• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prince quizzed over bird shooting (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The is not the fact is that what has happened here concerns the Royals - it is more to do with the fact that 2 BoP's have been shot. There should not be a rule for one person, and not another.

Was it not so long ago that the girlfriend of one of the Princes was taken for a day out shooting. Nothing was ever said whether it was a 'fab' day out for anyone.

So this gives me the impression that foul play is here (bad advice from older family members) how to behave. Two boys easily led, as we all are when we are young. If only Di was around what would she have said about it all.

I feel that the Royals commitment to conservation is as false as you get. I feel if they cannot be honest about issues saving Wildlife, they should leave well alone.

Still in my own mind's eye, I think it is deep family ties that make the Royals who they are. What their ancestors did with the whole issue of hunting is there in the family, history and blood-ties. Unless one of them is caught by the RSPB with a gun in their hands etc... no way they will be fined etc...

Can the gun (bullet) or finger prints not be tracked to the owner hmmmm or is it as easy as that. ;). Too many issues here - on mind overload here....

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
I am pretty worried because it sonds like someone with a shotgun managed to get near to our Princes. In this day and age this is really worrrying that some unkowns got so close to the prince and managed to shoot indiscrimnantly.

Jst releived the princes are safe with these sorts of unsavories knocking around.

I'm more concerned about the birds than I am about over-priviledged boys.

Can the gun (bullet) or finger prints not be tracked to the owner hmmmm or is it as easy as that. ;). Too many issues here - on mind overload here....

Regards
Kathy[/QUOTE]

Maybe we've been watching too much CSI, Kathy, but I would have thought so too - especially as there were only two authorised shooters on the estate at that time.

Sandra

I see on the news this morning that the BBC are still trotting out the "fact" that only 15 pairs of Hen Harriers nest in the whole of the UK. You'd think that someone would have sat them down with a map and patiently explained their mistake by now.

No! The fewer there seems to be, the more manure the fool is in...

Last edited:
I think it is about time the RSPB stood up and faced the Royals and said enough is enough, the Queen is the Patron of the RSPB, Now is a good time for them to remove her, and if that means they lose the 'ROYAL' from the title then so be it, strange how quiet they have been over this, not for the first time. I am seriously considering cancelling my membership, Stand up and be counted RSPB.

What is the use of conservation only for the 'privalaged few' to go round shooting them. Hen Harriers are stunning birds now there are two less.

On a seperate subject a former collegue who was in the Navy waxed lyrical about using Seabirds for target practice, never believed him at first, but the more he spoke about it the more detail he gave. Sickening.

Are the police/authorities sure that this ' bloke'
Harry was there? After all he is a professional
soldier. His comrades are risking their lives abroad
right now. When they come back home marching
proudly on parade. In recognition of their service.
No doubt he will be leading from the front!
No.No.Suspicion cannot be laid at this bloke's
door! Why? Well as stated he's in the army. He
will be earning his pay and doing his duty, just like
his comrades!! Not wondering aimlessly around
looking for something to-dooooo in the woods/fields
with another chap.
Also, such a potential hero wouldn't
kill some creature (that can't defend itself) just for
the fun of it! Now would he?--would--he?

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

I think it is about time the RSPB stood up and faced the Royals and said enough is enough, the Queen is the Patron of the RSPB, Now is a good time for them to remove her, and if that means they lose the 'ROYAL' from the title then so be it, strange how quiet they have been over this, not for the first time. I am seriously considering cancelling my membership, Stand up and be counted RSPB.

Me too kingfisher.

I have previously handed over my subscription turning a blind eye to the R in RSPB. I realise that royal patronage is an advantage in publicity but there has to be a point where expediency turns to hypocrisy. I think we have crossed it now if not previously.

I have just renewed for a year but if no substantial and clarifying statement is forthcoming from the either the patron or the society I will be looking for an alternative next year.

Hi there

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2774057.ece

Another link on the news story

"Yah...er...can I eat 'em and then chuck 'em up? Yah?"

ATVB
Mcmadd

I can understand how you think here but I believe that Di would not be interested in her sons shooting Wildlife. I believe Charlies and co are behind the inhouse training to shoot to kill. It is the proud thing to do - Royal stiff upper lip.

I think it is about time the RSPB stood up and faced the Royals and said enough is enough, the Queen is the Patron of the RSPB. .

Hi Kingfisher

I agree with what you say here too, take off Patrons of the RSPB who show genuine concern for the welfare of our native wildlife.

I hear that the BBC is going to do a new programme in conjunction with the young Royals...

'I'm a celebrity Hen Harrier...Get me outa' here!'

Er ..... I Like the way you see it from a Hen Harrier prespective here.

Are the police/authorities sure that this ' bloke'
Harry was there? After all he is a professional soldier. Also, such a potential hero wouldn't kill some creature (that can't defend itself) just for the fun of it! Now would he?--would--he? young Ian.

Young Ian: Yes comes to mind here. It is it relax time after all. :smoke:

Rozinante: I know how you feel but is there any alternative 'Bird' Groups you can join.

Now I have looked up some interesting information on Google here. Take a good look at this:

1. http://www.wwt.org.uk/text/130/council_members.html

If you look futher down the first page of the above website - look at what I could see with who looks after it :C

2. http://www.tusk.org/trustees__and__patrons_g.asp?page=16 - Royal Patron is .............

3. The Princess Royal, Patron, Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust

I loved Gerald Durrel from a young age. I feel unhappy that there are Royal connections here.

4.The Princess Royal, President, Animal Health Trust,

5. The Princess Royal, connections with Welfare of Horses and Ponies.

6. 1977 - The junior branch, Wildlife Watch, is formed and in the same year HRH The Prince of Wales became its Patron

Some of the many caring issues to do with animals that Royalty are involved with - not........ :C :C

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Some progress then:-

"There are 749 nesting pairs in the UK"

Wonder if that is inclusive or exclusive.

Hi Rozinante

I am confused now as each news item produced shows different no's of HH's now.

Regards
Kathy

Hi Rozinante

I am confused now as each news item produced shows different no's of HH's now.

Regards
Kathy

For what it's worth the RSPB website shows 521 nesting pairs in the UK + 49 on the Isle of Man. I believe very little I read in the papers and even less on websites.

Ron

The is not the fact is that what has happened here concerns the Royals - it is more to do with the fact that 2 BoP's have been shot. There should not be a rule for one person, and not another.

Was it not so long ago that the girlfriend of one of the Princes was taken for a day out shooting. Nothing was ever said whether it was a 'fab' day out for anyone.

So this gives me the impression that foul play is here (bad advice from older family members) how to behave. Two boys easily led, as we all are when we are young. If only Di was around what would she have said about it all.

I feel that the Royals commitment to conservation is as false as you get. I feel if they cannot be honest about issues saving Wildlife, they should leave well alone.

Still in my own mind's eye, I think it is deep family ties that make the Royals who they are. What their ancestors did with the whole issue of hunting is there in the family, history and blood-ties. Unless one of them is caught by the RSPB with a gun in their hands etc... no way they will be fined etc...

Regards
Kathy

Kathy, I broadly agree with your comments. As ever, in this country, for certain strata of society, it's one rule for one, and another rule for the rest. What appals me to the enth degree, is the fact that two rare BoP have been needlessly killed in Britain despite all the efforts of the conservation movement. Thus, bringing the species ever nearer to extermination. Anyone who has experienced seeing the "Sky Dance" aerial display seeing the aerial grace and agility of these birds, will surely lament the passing of the hen harrier should reported events such as this continues.

The fact two birds have been reportedly killed will have serious long term repurcussions on their ability to hang in there as a viable breeding species in England. Remember the oft used slogan "Extinction is Forever" which could be their ultimate fate.

And in my opinion this is the biggest crime.

Richard

"Birding is for life"

If there is any good news to come from this incident it is that people, who a couple of days didn't know Hen Harriers existed, have now seen pictures of them and know they are endangered in this country. The Hen Harrier probably has a higher profile now than it has for years, which must be a good thing for its long term future in this country.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back