• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with D100 using hi-iso (1 Viewer)

Porky123

Hi,

i'm having a problem shooting in low lights with my D100. I'm getting a line running down on the left side of the picture. Anybody know what could cause such a problem? Attached is a file with the arrow pointed to the problem I'm having. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sample1.jpg
    Sample1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 277
Hi Porky and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum.net.

I know we have some members who use that camera so hopefully, you'll get some suggestions shortly.

Porky123 said:
Hi,

i'm having a problem shooting in low lights with my D100. I'm getting a line running down on the left side of the picture. Anybody know what could cause such a problem? Attached is a file with the arrow pointed to the problem I'm having. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Canon D60, but the problem would have to be a mark on the sensor, if this problem occurs on the same spot in every photo.

Since it is so small, you wouldn't probably be able to see it without magnification.

Only solution I can suggest is to give it for a service to the manufacturer.

Cheers
Joe

Porky123 said:
i'm having a problem shooting in low lights with my D100.

I've done ISO tests on my D100 and while the general noise increases you shouldn't see anything like that.

It could be a scratch on the filter covering the CCD, and if so it would be there all the time but only showing up against a dark background, or possibly from flash reflections. Definitely one for the repair yard.

If it's ruined any once in a lifetime shots you can clone out the damage if you've got a reasoanbly difuse background and a copy of Adobe Photoshop.

Regards,
Graham.

Please visit www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley

what ISO were you trying and what lens - roughly - I'll have a go at replicating it.
Also - what firmware are you on - if it is not most recent you can send your camera back to Nikon and they will do it and a sensor clean up for free - this type of artefact is unusual - if it is a sensor defect it should not be there as the sensor test regime should pick this up! Such sensor defects are usually dark on light, not light on dark. Its worth giving Nikon a ring - check Nikon website for details of where they are etc - they are usually very helpful - particularly for these premium systems.

Hi, all

Thanks for all the help and advice. This problem only show up when I shoot in hi-iso mode in low light conditions. It's real noticeable when I shoot in hi-2. I don't see it in long exposures. The camera already have firmware ver2. I'm Nikon AF-S 24-85mm/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens.

If its in the same place on every pic then the chances are its related to the sensor as It looks far to straight to be a stray hair etc.
This may mean it need re-mappings and is definately a repair item.

My advise would be to send it to Nikon. I would give them a call first. Their Digital Support phone number is 1-800-645-6689. Ask them to let you send them an email with the photo. Most of them will let you do this. If one of them does not want to do this, call back. Like I said most of them will let you send the email to them. I shoot with the D70 and use a Nikon Scanner. Most of the time they are very helpful.
David

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back