• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with Victory 10x42 T FL (1 Viewer)

These user-based experiences demonstrate why single sample testing is almost worthless. Long-term, field-based, end-user testimonials is what this BF forum was originally about and I suggest we all take note of it.

Last edited:
Nasty looking stuff, good luck with this! Not one but two so far. I am refraining from saying anything else.

Last edited:
Anecdote: Back some 30 years ago, I sent a pair of Baush & Lomb 7 X 35 roof prism bins back to them when they went out of alignment. They fixed that 100%, but returned them with a note saying the oculars were 'permanently damaged by improper cleaning.' Actually I had been wearing them while eating an apple and the 'permanent damage' cleaned off easily.

Present day: I have total if untested confidence in the Zeiss guarantee and I'm sure they will correctly diagnose and fix the problem. When you know the actual outcome, please post it!

My bins are in the way to Germany. It's expected that in aprox. 15 days I will have an answer by Zeiss (diagnostic, cost of reparation or if warranty will cover it)

I'll keep you all informed in this post

One questions:

Was there in this forum a user that is a worker or an importante person in Zeiss? I remember something like this...

Thanks

One questions:

Was there in this forum a user that is a worker or an importante person in Zeiss? I remember something like this...

Thanks

I don't know, but the easiest of questions (was the 'damage' on the inside or not), has still not been answered.
Seems to me that this is crucial to make out wether or not Zeiss is for sure to fault (inside damage), or something could have happened that would exclude warranty (outside damage). Have you felt with e.g. fingernails if the damage was on the outside?

I don't know, but the easiest of questions (was the 'damage' on the inside or not), has still not been answered.
Seems to me that this is crucial to make out wether or not Zeiss is for sure to fault (inside damage), or something could have happened that would exclude warranty (outside damage). Have you felt with e.g. fingernails if the damage was on the outside?

I'm not really sure. I think it is inside or just in the coat, dust particles seems to be outer, on the surface, in another layer. Zeiss will determine.

The only thing I'm sure is that cleaning them was never able to make such damage: only blowing or isopropilic alcohol with a microfiber cloth and no pressure... So I will not accept any cost of repair, but i¡m prepared for the worst... (6 years and 5 years warranty in spain)

As a fellow FL owner this is slightly worrying! Zeiss should sort it out if its a 'common' problem

I don't think it's a common problem. There are lots of people around who use the Victory FL, and these two bins are the first I've seen that show such damage (whatever it is, I still find this puzzling).

And if it's really on the inside, I don't doubt Zeiss will repair the bins free of charge. The folks in Wetzlar at their repair facility are in my experience *very* competent and friendly.

Hermann

Omg, no wonder the guy in the optics shop said don't get Zeiss.

Respectfully, that is an outrageous statement.

Many of us have had Zeiss optics and have experienced no such problem.
Every optics maker can and will experience uncommon anomalies; trashing an entire company due to them is just dumb.
Simply put, your optics guy is knucklehead.

My guess is that Zeiss will bend over backwards to make this right.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back