• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prostaff 7s 8x30 questions (1 Viewer)

winginit

I recently bought a pair of Prostaff 7s binoculars to replace my car bins. Allbinos gave this model a good review. But I'm finding center focus to be a challenge at medium distances. For example, I was looking at a bird across the street and couldn't get a sharp focus. But looking at something farther away the center view seemed sharp. Is this a known issue or did I get a lemon? Trying to decide whether to exchange or return them.

Yep, that was unfortunately what happened. I contacted Nikon (I had ordered it directly from their own website) - never got a response. To me I think I'm done with this brand. The Aculons and Action EXs are mediocre at best. Coatings aren't up to modern standards. I guess you gotta spend a lot more money to get a decent Nikon. My "Marine" 7x50 was a disappointment as well. Light transmission looked like a bino from the 70s. In fact my "Scope" 7x50 from that time is actually better.
No more Nikons for me unless I win the lottery and can afford a WX.

I have a bushnell legend ultra hd that (I think) has the same diopter adjust setup as a P7- a diopter ring that is "up" for adjust and down to lock the ring in place. I read numerous accounts of persons having the ring break in locking the diopter adjust. I simply don't use the lock down feature as the adjust is firm enough to remain in place regardless of the usage. Is that the same with the P7 or is the adjust very light in position keeping without the lock feature? Pat

Is that the same with the P7 or is the adjust very light in position keeping without the lock feature?
Hm, it might have stayed in place without the locking feature but then you can no longer twist down the eyecups to the lowest position as the ring is in the way. They didn't really work with glasses anyway though. Despite Nikon's advertising. But so far I haven't found many binos that do. Probably my deep-set eyes are to blame.

when it comes to ER- too many silly mm lost in a slight recess, or the glasses having to make a large correction or the wearer using a lower index- (thicker) lenses or even not having curvature, all affect ER. I'm getting to the point that realistically, 18-20 will usually work , 15mm might work but at that measure- there's a lot that could kill the sighting of the field stop in the view. I don't mind potentially 1/2-1 deg loss on a 8deg FOV but if it's less than that it starts to get to be tunnel vision at times. Good luck on the pursuit of Nikon giving you some form of satisfaction. From the way you described it, it seems to mirror what Nikon US does. Regards, Pat

Just following up on my original post. Received my replacement Prostaff 7s. No focus problem, but CA is still noticeable (not surprising) though not as bad as the first pair. As noted in reviews, FOV is pretty narrow. But for the car they're fine. B&H has this model on sale so perhaps they're being discontinued?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back