• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puffins (1 Viewer)

Andrew H

As a wildlife Photographer (and not a Twitcher), the puffin has remained elusive....Im told that other than Lundy island, some can be found between Tintagel & Boscastle....Can someone give me some directions on the best place to park up and find them....Feel free to PM me if more appropriate.

By far the easiest way to see Puffins is to go out on the Jubilee Queen from Padstow.

The boat has several routes depending on whether they are looking for Seals, Dolphins or Puffins.

Many Thanks Chris, I was under the impression I could park up and walk out to somewhere and use a long lens, The idea of the boat out looks good though...will give it a go next month..

Many Thanks Chris, I was under the impression I could park up and walk out to somewhere and use a long lens, The idea of the boat out looks good though...will give it a go next month..

Qingcol who posts in the Camel Estuary thread here is the expert at Puffin watching but he does it from the Rumps.
I went out late last year to see the last of Puffins and the skipper got to within feet of them.

The car park at Padstow is right by the harbour - the boat sails from (tide dependent) the inner harbour, the pier or the beach all within easy walking distance.
If you ring up they'll be able to tell you when they will go to 'Puffin Island'.

Attachments

• Puffin 3.jpg
    Puffin 3.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 82
Thanks all, I love webcams...Used to like the one for Newlyn harbour, check to see who was in or out fishing...and the BBC had one on a bit of railway line, and check the times of the trains to see if they were running on time (how sad when yer stuck bored in an office)

I am on the other side of the world and with Tufted Puffins....but they are cool birds. Pretty similar in appearance too.... Oregon up to Alaska....
in the morning, .....is when you need to be there for any puffins from what I understand...

The Seal surveys on the north coast are using the Cornish Sea Tours, on the last trip we had fairly good views of Puffins on the Mouls Island as well as on the sea. (They are very experienced and do not get to close, the animals/birds welfare is always the number one concern).

As a wildlife Photographer (and not a Twitcher), the puffin has remained elusive....Im told that other than Lundy island, some can be found between Tintagel & Boscastle....Can someone give me some directions on the best place to park up and find them....Feel free to PM me if more appropriate.
I live on the N Devon coast and run a charter boat to Lundy Island. I have been exploring the N Coast of Cornwall from the boat for years and certainly have not come across Puffins on this coast line. Lundy is by far the best place to go and we often take bird watchers to the Island. www.boattripstolundy.co.uk

Thanks John, Im staying near Moushole, so a trip round Lundy might be a bit far upcountry for the day visit...Id read that there were puffins around Tintagel / Boscastle area, so thought id park up and walk somewhere to have a look....

Thanks John, Im staying near Moushole, so a trip round Lundy might be a bit far upcountry for the day visit...Id read that there were puffins around Tintagel / Boscastle area, so thought id park up and walk somewhere to have a look....
Hi Andrew. 14 Puffins were seen on Saterday on the West side. We stayed on the Island Sunday night and this was confirmed. Hope your search to Cornwall goes well. John

A small number of Puffins do breed on the Brisons, the island is viewable from Cape Cornwall but you will need a telescope.

Got out on the Jubilee Queen today - they are concentrating on the Puffins at the moment so we were off to the Mouls.
Skipper reckons numbers get up to 40 odd pairs - as they were so mobile it was difficult to count.
Also large numbers of Razorbill & Guillemots.

Attachments

• Puffin1.jpg
    Puffin1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 297
  • Puffin2.jpg
    Puffin2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 267
Got out on the Jubilee Queen today - they are concentrating on the Puffins at the moment so we were off to the Mouls.
Skipper reckons numbers get up to 40 odd pairs - as they were so mobile it was difficult to count.

NIce photos Chris.

Hi Chris,

40 odd pairs is double the estimates made from both land and sea based birders. I believe the highest counts last year was 18 in July.

Great photo's.

Hi Chris,

40 odd pairs is double the estimates made from both land and sea based birders. I believe the highest counts last year was 18 in July.

Great photo's.

The highest count from the Mouls/Rumps area, (last year), was in fact 29 on June 18th but probably included moving birds.

The Puffin page has been updated on the Camel Estuary Website.

Last edited:
If Puffins are your target get over to Skomer...I know it's a trot (4 -5 hours form Kent) but it's more than worth it...The birds walk over your feet there and the photo opportunities are fantastic. They'll be feeding young right now so lot's of coming and going.

Another trip out to the Mouls on the Jubilee Queen today - conditions were 'lumpy'.

8 Puffins on the water, couldn't see any on the Island but viewing was 'difficult'.

Bonus of three Ocean Sunfish very close to the boat.

Attachments

• puffin 6.jpg
    puffin 6.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 335
  • sunfish.jpg
    sunfish.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 41
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back