• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queensland, Spine Tailed Swift? (1 Viewer)

aussietrev

Hi guys,
Had four of these briefly over my house this morning as they headed south. Luckily they did a couple of loops around and had time to get a couple of frames and then they were gone. I can't confirm it from my reference as it doesn't show the underview. Anyone know? A first sighting for me if it is.

Attachments

• 09 11 2008 What.jpg
    09 11 2008 What.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 99
Yes, definitely one. The barrel shaped body and the white 'U' just after 'armpits' and vent are diagnostic.

Cheers!

Dimitris

Hello.
Yes - I agree.
"Official" name for them these days is White-throated Needletail - Hirundapus caudacutus.
Congratulations on a "lifer".

Regards,
Bruce

Thanks guys,
I think this bird is more deserving of the swift name than needletail, man they are fast. Welcome to Birdforum Bruce

Hi guys,
Had four of these briefly over my house this morning as they headed south. Luckily they did a couple of loops around and had time to get a couple of frames and then they were gone. I can't confirm it from my reference as it doesn't show the underview. Anyone know? A first sighting for me if it is.

Definitely a Needletail. If they zoom close enough to you, you can hear the wind in their wings.

LK

I really hope you will upload this image to the gallery. There is only two images in there now, and I think yours is better. Many more people can enjoy a photo in the gallery than one hidden in a thread such as this!

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back