• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

question about Ospreys (1 Viewer)

birdpotter

Yesterday my husband, son and I took a drive (trying to keep it a short distance, we ended up getting 'lost' twice and going in circles once). We ended up in a spot where we knew there was an Osprey nest last year. We visited and were not disappointed. We saw one of the parents along with three chicks. It was very exciting. The parents were being chased out of their nests though. And by a very small brown bird. The two were moving so fast that I never got even a remotely clear look at the small bird. There was only one Osprey at a time at the nest (am assuming there were two around), but it could never actually settle down, this little brown bird kept chasing off the nest and all over the place. And we were there for at least 45 minutes, which at the end one of the parents was finally on the nest.
What does anyone suppose was going on?
I have all sorts of stipulations, but really have no idea as to why such a little bird was so diligent at chasing this Osprey. I have seen small birds attack larger birds before, don't get me wrong, but this was at the nest site and this bird was even smaller than the chicks. Anyone want to venture as to what was going on? It would be much appreciated.

We also watched a Belted Kingfisher diving for fish for its two young-uns; it was a good day.

Best
Elizabeth

I don't think it's a case of a bird trying to parasitize (sp?) the nest, as happens a lot of time in the tropics with the Piratic Flycatcher (a small brown bird). The Osprey's nest is not exactly the type of nest that would be of any use for a flycatcher.

I suppose the "little brown bird" already had a nest in the vicinity before the osprey arrived, and he just keeps trying to chase the osprey away from the area ??

I am going to take a long shot - and say it was a great-creasted flycatcher. I'll bet I am completely wrong. Just a shot in the dark. Sounded like a great birding day though Elizabeth.
-Dave

Aracari said:
I don't think it's a case of a bird trying to parasitize (sp?) the nest, as happens a lot of time in the tropics with the Piratic Flycatcher (a small brown bird). The Osprey's nest is not exactly the type of nest that would be of any use for a flycatcher.

I suppose the "little brown bird" already had a nest in the vicinity before the osprey arrived, and he just keeps trying to chase the osprey away from the area ??

Yeah, I can't imagine such a large nest being wanted by such a small bird, although my husband thought he saw a bird flying out of the nest at one point when the Osprey tried to land.
Who knows?! I hope someone else will come along.
Would the small bird continue trying to eradicate the Osprey from the area? Good golly, the babies could have that little guy for a snack!

Rutland Water Osprey web site

Elizabeth,

If you want to find out about Ospreys in general and the introduction scheme in particular at this site in Rutland in the English midlands try:

http://www.ospreys.org.uk/

Hope you find it of some interest.

danehower said:
I am going to take a long shot - and say it was a great-creasted flycatcher. I'll bet I am completely wrong. Just a shot in the dark. Sounded like a great birding day though Elizabeth.
-Dave

Is this another one on your wish list, Dave? ;)
As much as I would love that it were, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't.
It really was difficult to see. We were from a good distance, so as not to disturb the nest, so even if I had gotten it in my sights, I don't think it would have helped. I hate that I had to refer to it as a 'little brown bird', but it's alls I's gots.

Best
and
Thanks
Elizabeth

birdpotter said:
Is this another one on your wish list, Dave? ;)
As much as I would love that it were, I'm pretty sure that it wasn't.
It really was difficult to see. We were from a good distance, so as not to disturb the nest, so even if I had gotten it in my sights, I don't think it would have helped. I hate that I had to refer to it as a 'little brown bird', but it's alls I's gots.

Best
and
Thanks
Elizabeth
LOL - No I got this guy on my list ;) I was just thinking about the King birds and how they can get really agressive and I heard they even attack small aircraft. Mabey it was the Eastern spaz bird - I hear they can get really insaine sometimes!3:)

Another stab. Osprey nest near water. There's usually redwing blackbirds nesting in the same niche. I'd put long odds on a female redwing blackbird whose chicks have fledged and she's watching out for them.

Little Brown Bird?

Was it a Mockingbird? They are crazy in our area. I see them buzzing Red Shoulder Hawks and Eagles quite frequenlty. An Osprey fits right in the mix.

Back to your original post - is it common for an Osprey to have multiple babies (3)? I have not seen many Osprey nests but I usually only see 1 baby. This may be after some time and the weaker babies may have not made it.

Anyone know the average brood?

Dave,
Possibly Eastern Spaz bird, sounds exactly like what I was looking at... :-O

Cayoncreekman, if that is your real name, I do believe you are right. It must have been a female red-wing. I heard them all around. It makes the most sense. Thanks!

Judybird, looking at the site Chris supplied(thank you chris), Opreys usually have two. So three does seem a bit of an odd number--heh heh. It must be a very good location for raising them. It actually used to be a heron rookery. Don't know the reasons, just know what I saw. But it is good to have the website to look at, which I plan on going back to soon.

Best
Elizabeth

birdpotter said:
Judybird, looking at the site Chris supplied(thank you chris), Opreys usually have two. So three does seem a bit of an odd number--heh heh.

As I understand things, the osprey usually lays 3 eggs, though it is rare for more than the strongest chick to survive beyond the nesting period.

Bob Brent said:
As I understand things, the osprey usually lays 3 eggs, though it is rare for more than the strongest chick to survive beyond the nesting period.

Interesting that, I believe, these ones are quite far along. I am thinking of returning tomorrow for a quick peek. I will keep a post here, if anything changes drastically, OR I suppose, if nothing changes.
Thank you Bob for the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back