• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions about Bird House use outside of the US and Canada (1 Viewer)

kristinbirds

I live in the US, and there is excellent information on dimensions for birdhouses in the US and Canada. I have also found pretty good internet sources for Australia and Europe, but virtually nothing for much of the rest of the world.

I am an artist, and I make ceramic bird houses that I sell on an internet site. Although I am motivated largely by profit, I'm not trying to be "spammy," here, so I'm withholding my site info. I'm not trying to advertise or sell on this forum, just trying to get a better handle on bird houses in countries outside of the United States and Canada, to see what opportunities there may be to sell my bird houses outside of the US and Canada.

I've noticed that I get a fair amount of traffic from South America--Brazil and Argentina, especially, but can find no information on whether anyone in these countries puts up bird houses in their yards to attract local nesting birds. Is this something that is commonly done in any of the South American countries? Do people hang bird houses in their yards to attract local nesting birds, or is this impractical, unnecessary, or perhaps simply not part of the culture? I would also love to know more about hole nesting "backyard" birds in South and Central America. Can anyone out there in forum land tell me anything?

As for European birds, I've noticed that some of my houses that I've made for North American species have very similar dimensions to ones suitable for certain European species. I've tried to point this out on my site with the possibility of attracting European customers. For example, a Black-capped Chickadee or Carolina Chickadee house would seem to be quite suitable for the European Blue Tit, one of the flycatcher species (Pied, I think), and Tree Sparrows, also. I would love to have this sort of info on South American birds, and for other countries, too.

So, to sum it up, I'd be interested in information about common, backyard, hole nesting birds in South America, Africa, India, and other parts of Asia, and also info on the appropriate dimensions for the more common species. Also, do people in these countries use bird houses, or is this not a common practice?

I realize that no one person can likely answer all of my numerous questions, but even a little bit of information would add to my knowledge, and would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I live in Japan and although there are many birdlovers, not many people put up feeders or nestboxes.

Most people don't have gardens and although putting up feeders is suggested in bird books, because it can attract 'vermin' species like pigeons, I only see feeders in limited nature reserves etc(and there is generally a rule that it can only be put up in the winter).

As for nestboxes, although I see them in nature reserves and sometimes in a large park or conserved woodlands, they aren't seen in gardens alot. Mainly people don't have big gardens with trees and there simply isn't 'let's help the garden birds' thinking in Japan.

Wild bird society of Japan is trying to encourage people to hang nest boxes by doing free 'make a nestbox and hang it in the garden' events but I've never seen a nestbox in a garden.

Sorry to write so long, but to sum it up...
Although in Japan great tits and tree sparrows do use nest boxes, there just isn't the culture of helping the garden birds and only a limited number of people in Japan have gardens.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back