• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quick qeusions (1 Viewer)

Hi libirder: I'm a newbie here but have a good bit of Bluebird and Hummer experience (that's about it though!) I live in North Central GA, where Bluebirds are more common if you know what you're doing.

Just a couple of things: It may take Bluebirds 4 or 5 seasons to take to a box! They have a very large hunting/breeding area and if you have around 5 acres of OPEN, short trimmed grass, some decent sized trees and a fence line whereby they can perch and hunt, you will increase your chances of landing a breeding pair. I made the very recent mistake of putting up a feeder which attracted house finches that upset my nesting Bluebirds and Cardinals a GREAT deal. I immediately removed the feeder and things have returned to normal. In addition, you must watch out for and immediately eliminate wasp nests in unoccupied boxes - they will not nest in a box which is occupied with wasps/bees. My successful boxes have approx. 70% sun/30% shade. Bluebirds are VERY PICKY, and if their exact conditions aren't met, they will not nest in your box.

I have 20 acres with approx. 8 of them open. I have a total of 5 Bluebird boxes with normally 50% of those boxes occupied in any given breeding season. If a Bluebird can peep outside their box and see another Bluebird box, only one of those boxes will become occupied. They are not so much picky about the exact depth of a box as they are the location. No perches of course are a must, and I use very simple hollow, metal poles to mount them onto and I apply wax once a year to keep snakes, raccoons and squirrels from being able to climb up the metal pole, and feed them mealy worms in the morning as a supplement to what they hunt during the day.

Good luck and as tburke said, don't give up too early. If after 5 seasons (years), you do not have any luck, some rearranging is in order.

How about an update on your efforts.
What have you fledged?

Hey thanks for asking havent been on in a while but....

I GOT TREE SWALLOWS!!!Although there pretty common on long island I was so ecited getting them cause it was my first time getting a nestbox.But there doin great at first sparrow moved in because it was close to a tree but when I moved it right in front of the water tree swallows came within minutes.The sparrows werent happy about it but just got a chair and sat 20ft away chasing of the sparrows until they learned to stay away and the swallow would also show them whos boss in the air.The tree swallows eggs hatch and the are four nestlings about a week or a little bit older and the sparrows arent reall bothering them there busy with thier feldlings.But its been an awsome expierence watching and learning.There such cool birds.Im gunna miss them when they go.

Hi libirder: I'm a newbie here but have a good bit of Bluebird and Hummer experience (that's about it though!) I live in North Central GA, where Bluebirds are more common if you know what you're doing.

Just a couple of things: It may take Bluebirds 4 or 5 seasons to take to a box! They have a very large hunting/breeding area and if you have around 5 acres of OPEN, short trimmed grass, some decent sized trees and a fence line whereby they can perch and hunt, you will increase your chances of landing a breeding pair. I made the very recent mistake of putting up a feeder which attracted house finches that upset my nesting Bluebirds and Cardinals a GREAT deal. I immediately removed the feeder and things have returned to normal. In addition, you must watch out for and immediately eliminate wasp nests in unoccupied boxes - they will not nest in a box which is occupied with wasps/bees. My successful boxes have approx. 70% sun/30% shade. Bluebirds are VERY PICKY, and if their exact conditions aren't met, they will not nest in your box.

I have 20 acres with approx. 8 of them open. I have a total of 5 Bluebird boxes with normally 50% of those boxes occupied in any given breeding season. If a Bluebird can peep outside their box and see another Bluebird box, only one of those boxes will become occupied. They are not so much picky about the exact depth of a box as they are the location. No perches of course are a must, and I use very simple hollow, metal poles to mount them onto and I apply wax once a year to keep snakes, raccoons and squirrels from being able to climb up the metal pole, and feed them mealy worms in the morning as a supplement to what they hunt during the day.

Good luck and as tburke said, don't give up too early. If after 5 seasons (years), you do not have any luck, some rearranging is in order.

Hey str8six thanks for replying cause I need help with attracting both hummers and bluebirds.

Yea I know Ive heard it can take a long time for bluebirds to find a box.Im pretty sure I got the right habitat % acres of short cut grass but I just dont think they are even in my town.This spring ive been planting in hopes of attracting them in winter so they might see the box so well see what happens. Yea I just read that post. I dont have my feeder up right now cause I dont want sparrows around my swallows so I just have my sparrow trap out.Feeders right now are attracting alot of starling sparrow and grackles which I dont need for the swallows.Right now I dont have an occupied box because of swallows but im going to get anoth box and pair them so bluebirds have a chance t nest too.i think If the swallows like the habitat bluebirds will like it too.

Im only looking to have one pair of bluebirds and that all my yard to carry.Your really lucky you can have lik a trail in your own yard. But ill be very happy with a pair of bluebirds and swallows.and about the box I got this bluebird box from audobon which is specifically designed or bluebirds. I really just think I dont have any bluebirds which is upseting.

Thanks a bunch

Last edited:
Good work on the swallows!!
Keep those boxes clean and ready and try pairing them.

P.S. Have you considered Purple Martin housing? (That would be for next year)

Good work on the swallows!!
Keep those boxes clean and ready and try pairing them.

P.S. Have you considered Purple Martin housing? (That would be for next year)

Thanks.

Yea Im defintly going to pair them..cant wait until next year.the swallows are gunna fledge very soon.

Yea and geuss what I recentle have seen purple martins fyling ove my ouse and around the bay Im really thinking about getting a purple martins house for next year now that I know there in my area. what kinda of purple martin box should I use If I were to get one?T-14 look good with some gourds attached.

Thanks for everything

t-14 is an excellent house, especially with crescent openings.
Maintaining and erecting a t-14 is a big commitment.
I'd figure on at least five hundred bucks for housing, hardware and pole.
Also that stucture is very heavy and requires a good quality brake winch to raise and lower.
I've overseen the construction of four t-14 houses by eagle scouts for use in a state park here in western New York.
Check Chuck Abare's sight and Purple Martin Conservation Association and give the matter some thought.
If martins are accustomed to gourds in your area they have a lot of advantages over traditional housing.Be sure to look at super gourd distributed by PMCA.
Good Luck!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back