• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R5 8k video (1 Viewer)

Jon.Bryant

Although the R5 overheats easily when taking 8k video, and 8k gobbles up memory, has anyone experience of using 8k as a means to improve the apparent magnification of a lens by cropping from 8K to 4K or 1K?

I am in particular thinking this could work well for birds in flight, where it would be easier to track and keep a bird centred if you were using say a 200mm lens and then cropping the video.

Am I right in thinking that cropping from 8-4K, would given the impression that your lens was twice the magnification, and that a crop to 1K would be like increasing the focal length 4x? Obviously there would be a loss of resolution and it would only really work if the bird remains in the crop area - unless there is a method to smoothly transition the crop zone in post processing.

it would only really work if the bird remains in the crop area - unless there is a method to smoothly transition the crop zone in post processing.
Therein lies the rub ;) Although I will confess to having used stabilisation in post, given a stable enough background, and the cropping out the highly shifting borders. You could probably even then use a compositing plane on the result to make as if you were panning. It's not going to win you Oscars though, I think the internal lens stabilisation IS mech gives some sort of variable shading which shows in the result.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back