• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID ,near York ,UK. (1 Viewer)

I'm having trouble seeing why the larger bird isn't a female sparrowhawk...

I agree completely with Stuart and Eduardo, the picture shows a male Sparrowhawk chasing a female Sparrowhawk:
-the hand is broad compared with the arm, on a Goshawk the hand is clearly narrower than the arm (with the bulging secondaries creating almost oval shaped wings, compare with the Goshawk in post #14)
-the wings look relatively short
-the neck looks relatively short
-the sides of the throat and the barring on the underside including the underwing coverts is rufous (should be mid-brown or greyish brown on a Goshawk)
-the base of the tail is narrow

Size:
-according to the Collins guide, a male Sparrowhawk is 29-34 cm, a female Sparrowhawk 35-41 cm and a male Goshawk 49-56 cm
-an average male Sparrowhawk (31.5 cm) is thus about 80% as long as an average female Sparrowhawk (38 cm)
-a large male Sparrowhawk (34 cm) is about 70% as long as a small male Goshawk (49 cm)
-the larger bird in the picture is about 80% as long as the male Sparrowhawk, i.e. this is consistent with the average size difference between a male and female Sparrowhawk (as the birds are chasing each other it can be assumed that they are equally distant to the camera)

Tail looks wide enough to me, with the expected rounded corners. The bulk of the body, especially the chest, and heavy hip appearance also point to goshawk.

Could be a male.

Attached a copy of just this bird in isolation.

Two posts made while I was drafting this one - seem to be in a minority of one.

Attachments

• Accipiter.jpg
    Accipiter.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 90
admitedly you've got a bulky looking bird there Dave, but it is a Sparrowhawk for the reasons mentioned.

See plenty of the genuine article so if this ones wrong, there's obviously an overlap of birds I've been incorrectly identifying.

Hi,
CAU has made a correct and comprehensive diagnosis, with which I fully agree.
Sincerely,
Alessandro, from Southern Alps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back