• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID (1 Viewer)

Murat Kocas

Turkey
Hello,

Could you please help me to identify this raptor?

Photo is shot in Serengeti/Tanzania on 20.07.2017

Regards

Murat Kocas

Attachments

• IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 97
Structurally (I can only see the thumbnails on my mobile) it’s reminiscent of Lesser Spotted Eagle - (non-breeding/imm) but it’s a difficult to make much sense of underwing plumage and I’m not 100% sold by any means.

Structurally (I can only see the thumbnails on my mobile) it’s reminiscent of Lesser Spotted Eagle - (non-breeding/imm) but it’s a difficult to make much sense of underwing plumage and I’m not 100% sold by any means.
I'd agree with that, especially with the 2 white crescents visible at base of outer primaries

I'd agree with that, especially with the 2 white crescents visible at base of outer primaries
You can see more than I can - it’s practically a silhouette in the thumbnails I’m looking at (not sure why I can’t open the images?) but thanks for the verification.

should be easier on the mobile
It should be but I’m having a glitch thats stopping me from downloading/opening up images at the moment- it might be a memory issue. I can’t open the thumbnails so can’t see what is clearly visible to me just from the thumbnail alone of your enlargement.

I’m not questioning the ID obviously - as I said, on structure alone, I thought it was LSE.

Thanks.

Wahlberg's was my immediate impression, with protruding head too.

I note the photo was taken in July - I wouldn't have expected Lesser Spotted to be in Tanzania then but haven't checked and may well be wrong (?)

Thanks.

Wahlberg's was my immediate impression, with protruding head too.

I note the photo was taken in July - I wouldn't have expected Lesser Spotted to be in Tanzania then but haven't checked and may well be wrong (?)
Many Immature/non-breeding Lesser Spotted Eagles stay in Africa during the Northern breeding season so not sure why you would be particularly surprised at a July record - movements in Africa are not that well documented but it seems perfectly feasible to me.

FWIW The tail seems rather short and full to me and the bill looks a bit large in the OP too (Wahlberg’s have long necks but small bill)

cf LSE
Note the longer/heavier bill

Small bill of Walberg’s is easier to see on pale bird

I am able to access the larger version of the images now - the underwing does show that double comma that Tom pointed to this morning however, the plumage is still not definitive for me.

Last edited:
No real reason. Probably reflects my lack of knowledge of LSE and the area the photo was taken. I think of LSE as a summer migrant to the north, wintering in Africa

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back