• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raptor viewpoints in the UK...and Europe ? (1 Viewer)

stuart scott

Is there a decent list of raptor viewing points in the UK around on the web/books ( or can anyone list them here ) ?
I've seen little references to ones like Goshawk viewpoint in the Forest of Dean mentioned around this forum, but I've never come across a good overall guide like the ones you can get for USA etc.

I appreciate we don't get the amounts some other countries do, but if not general watch points throughout the year, certainly at migration time there must be some good areas around the UK...isn't there ?

...also I'd like to add to this question, are there any similar raptor watch points in the North and West Europe area that people know of, and could recommend ?
thanks
Stuart

New Fancy View, Forest of Dean - Gos, Buz, Peregrine, Hobby, Raven.
Great Ryburgh, Norfolk - Honey Buz, Buz, Sparr, Hobby, M. Harrier.
Acres Down, New Forest - Honey Buz, Buz, Gos, Sparr, Peregrine, Hobby.
Haldon, Devon - Still good for raptors. (recent thread somewhere)
Frampton Marsh, Lincs - Monties, M. Harrier.
Clumber Park, Notts - Honey Buz, others.
Wykeham Forest, Yorks - Honey Buz, others.
Rutland Water - Ospreys.
Hickling Broad, Norfolk - Marsh, Hen Harriers, Merlin. (last two winter)

Get yourself to Scotland or Wales you can't go wrong.
Findhorn Valley and Speyside in Scotland for starters.
For Wales Elan Valley or Lake Vyrnwy in summer, Tregaron Bog or Dee Estuary in winter.

Failling all these get up some hill or a place where you can view over a decent area of woodland and see what comes up.

I'm planning to go to the North Kent Marshes this winter. I belonged to the KOSNET mailing list all last winter, and I was amazed at the numbers of raptors seen there. I've also heard, though I've never seen it advertised, that they plan to do Landrover raptor tours there (at Elmley Marshes, I think). Details of the best birdwatching sites in north Kent are on the Kent Ornithological Society website ( www.kentos.org.uk ).

Check out the Straits of Gibraltar:
http://www.seo.org/proyectos/migres/engl.asp
"The Straits of Gibraltar (southern tip of Cádiz province, Spain) is the most important “bottle-neck” for central and western Europe migratory birds crossing the Mediterranean sea, travelling towards and from their wintering quarters in the African continent. Their only 14 km of maximum wide made this area specially important for soaring birds (storks, vultures, eagles...), which during fall migration concentrates by hundreds of thousands in the area of Tarifa waiting for suitable winds to allow them crossing to Africa."
Another map:
http://www.fundacionmigres.org/observatorios.htm
Here you can check what is being seen every day:
http://www.fundacionmigres.org/migres.htm#migres
(only in spanish, but it is easy to find translation in the web. I can translate them for you too ;))
Worth a visit!

Hi Stuart

As for raptor watchpoints in northern Europe then the obvious one is Falsterbo at the southern tip of Sweden, one of the best raptor migration points in Europe, and I think the majority of the Scandinavian population of migratory raptors passes through in autumn. Haven't been myself but it's very famous and I'm sure any of the Swedish or Danish BF members could tell you plenty more about it.

E

stuarts said:
...also I'd like to add to this question, are there any similar raptor watch points in the North and West Europe area that people know of, and could recommend ?
thanks
Stuart

Hi Stuart.

If you are really interested in European raptor migration then you should check out the sites around Tarifa in south-west Spain, along the Strait of Gibraltar.

Tarifa offers the shortest sea crossing between Africa (Morocco) and Europe and it is from the hills just above the town that the vast majority of migrating storks and raptors congregate before starting the crossing.

I have been there many times in the peak movement period (September) and have counted over 1000 Booted Eagles, 200 Short-toed Eagles, significant numbers of Black Kites, Red Kites, Montagu's Harriers, Sparrowhawks, Honey Buzzards, Common Buzzards, Kestrels, White Storks, Black Storks, Griffon Vultures and Egyptian Vultures, all in one day. Add to this sporadic sightings of rarities such as Long-legged and Rough-legged Buzzards, Ruppell's Vultures, Lanner Falcons, Eleanora's Falcons and White Pelicans and you can see that this really is the place to be to observe migrating birds.

It is not only the sheer number of birds seen that makes this such a spectacular site. You can see the birds down to a distance of 10 - 15 metres as they pass overhead.

I have three favourite sites in the area that I regularly use when guiding tours in that area (roll on the 16th - 19th Sept) and these are generally regarded as the best viewing spots. They are (in my preferred order) 1. Cazalla. 2. Trafico and 3. La Pena. There are other excellent sites such as Santuario, Fascinas, Algarrobo, Cabrito and Puerto de Bolonia that are in the area and can also be visited.

If you ever decide to come this way and would like precise directions to these sites, then drop me an e-mail.

Regards from Donana.

John.

thanks everyone for the info....I'll check out the areas on a map, and as for the UK ones see which I can get to in the next few weeks...or month.
I'm assuming end of this month, start of Sept will be the the prime time when raptors are on the move aren't they ?

ta
stu

Tarifa certainly is spectacular, particularly if the wind is right. We were there in the spring and an early flight of bee eaters flew overhead to greet us. The sky was full of black kites, booted eagles and and short-toed eagles. Griffons were numerous and lesser kestrels added to the interest. The beach was a bit low-key, no Whiskered or Gull-billed Terns on the day we visited, but I almost stood on a stone curlew and crested larks were everwhere.

Last October there were hundreds of Short Toed Eagles passing south and a flock of Black Storks.

We're going back to Andalusia in late September. Looking forward to it.

One major problem with Tarifa is the wind-farm. It's not PC to criticise these things, but the hills for miles around are smothered with wind turbines, hundreds of them. The noise at the Mirador del Estrecho when it's windy (and it's always windy) can only be compared to an airport taxi/take-off area.

PS

I've got John Butler's book and it's bloody handy.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, aaggghh if the channel wasn't in the way then i would love to just zoom along to all those viewpoints around the uk. I don't suppose anyone would know of good spots for owls in belgium would they?
bubobubo

Hi Stuart

Going slightly further afield, two sites, other than the well known watchpoints, that you may want to consider are Cape Kolka in Latvia (April) and Chokpak in Kazakhstan (September). Both sites are superb but for different reasons.

Surprisingly, given its proximity to the UK (it IS in NW Europe), Cape Kolka is still largely unwatched yet has a huge diversity and large numbers - I have seen 18 raptor species in one day and several hundred indivduals per day is common. On good days add to this thousands of cranes passing north and more duck and divers going east, plus 100's thousands of finches heading north just overhead. Throw in movements of Little Gulls, Caspian Terns and the odd rarities and you have a fantastic experience. If it does quieten down the surrounding forests are great for all the usual specialities. On top of all this you can still have this all largely to yourself ! Access is reasonable easy - a direct flight from London and just a two and half hour drive/bus from Riga.

Chokpak is a bit more of a challenge (and not exactly North or West Europe - but you get most of the same species and more) ! Fly direct from London to Tashkent (Uzbekistan) then risk taxi shuttles into Kazakhstan and you'll get there after some hours - alternatively take a train (I've not done this - but I know it can be done from AlMaty). It's a famous site and I'm sure you can get info on the web. What makes Chokpak so special is that you get to assist the ornithological research of the Gavrilovs and their team. They are very welcoming and you quickly become part of their camp (take a tent). When the conditions are right the days are spent catching / ringing eagles, buzzards, hawks, bee-eaters, larks, wagtails in huge heligolands (think of all the north and central siberian exotics for each family and you'll have an idea !). Further overhead are the flocks of Demoseilles and, if lucky, it's still possible to see the odd migrating bustard ! On "down" days you just go into the mountains or the desert areas - and catch up on all the goodies....never a dull moment !

cheers

Find this a much needed thread, Iwould be interested in more sites if anyone has them, specific to U.K. My pennies worth,for what its worth, MARSH HARRIERS generally guaranteed at Blacktoft Sands.

Cheers Andrew.

I note that Helm will be publishing a book - The Good Bird Guide - in April 2005(?) £16.99 - that is designed to highlight sites for 500 species inc. a country by country gazetter which might be useful for highlighting good Bop sites at home & abroad,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back