• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reading bird rings. (1 Viewer)

SUPPRESSOR

England
Anyone know if its feasible to use X100 with my Zeiss Diascope fl 85mm to read leg rings on gulls?
Peter.

Last edited:
Good news as I have an Baader Hyperion 5mm eyepiece arriving tomorrow + Zeiss adapter.
Peter.
P S Might not be good news! I have read that the Baader Hyperion 5mm eyepiece is the only one that does not focus to infinity on the Zeiss Diascope . Find out tomorrow .

Last edited:
It depends on the distance to the gull.

How large are the markings on these leg rings?

Are leg rings markings all the same size?

At what distance are leg rings readable with unaided eyes?

One is meant to be able to read car number plates at about 20 metres with 20/40 vision to get a driving licence.

Regards,
B.

It depends on the distance to the gull.

How large are the markings on these leg rings?

Are leg rings markings all the same size?

At what distance are leg rings readable with unaided eyes?

One is meant to be able to read car number plates at about 20 metres with 20/40 vision to get a driving licence.

Regards,
B.
Sorry, is this regarding not being able to reach infinity.

Sorry, I didn't understand the first post.

No, I am not talking about infinity focus, but the distance at which leg rings can be read, assuming a bird that is still and the markings well lit and directly pointing at the observer.

Different eyesight may mean the 5mm eyepiece might reach infinity focus.

Regards,
B.

No, I am not talking about infinity focus, but the distance at which leg rings can be read, assuming a bird that is still and the markings well lit and directly pointing at the observer.

find

Regardfs,

B.

Thanks will will

Regards,
B.
Will find out tomorrow .
regards,
Pete.

Will find out tomorrow .
regards,
Pete.
Pete,
I fear this may not work as the Baader Hyperion can also be used in 2" focussers and may not be able to be fitted sufficiently deeply into a 1 1/4" adapter to achieve infinity or distant focus.
Many years ago the now discontinued 5 mm Vixen LVW was often used but here a few millimetres had to be turned off the end of the barrel to reach infinity focus. My dealer told me that one customer used his Diascope at 100x to inspect the the blades of wind machines for possible damage or cracks.
I once owned a Diascope 65 and had both the original Zeiss and the Baader (bayonet) astro adapters. Disadvantages were the requirement for an adapter for each astro eyepiece and the slow change of eyepieces, particularly in the case of the Zeiss with its threaded female collar. By the time you have changed eyepieces the bird will probably have moved and finding it again with a TFoV of about 0,7° is going to be difficult.
It is somewhat easier with adapters that are fitted to the scope body, e.g. Swarovski ATS/STS, where you can use a long focal length eyepiece as a finder and then drop in a short focal length eyepiece for high magnification.

John

Pete,
I fear this may not work as the Baader Hyperion can also be used in 2" focussers and may not be able to be fitted sufficiently deeply into a 1 1/4" adapter to achieve infinity or distant focus.
Many years ago the now discontinued 5 mm Vixen LVW was often used but here a few millimetres had to be turned off the end of the barrel to reach infinity focus. My dealer told me that one customer used his Diascope at 100x to inspect the the blades of wind machines for possible damage or cracks.
I once owned a Diascope 65 and had both the original Zeiss and the Baader (bayonet) astro adapters. Disadvantages were the requirement for an adapter for each astro eyepiece and the slow change of eyepieces, particularly in the case of the Zeiss with its threaded female collar. By the time you have changed eyepieces the bird will probably have moved and finding it again with a TFoV of about 0,7° is going to be difficult.
It is somewhat easier with adapters that are fitted to the scope body, e.g. Swarovski ATS/STS, where you can use a long focal length eyepiece as a finder and then drop in a short focal length eyepiece for high magnification.

John
Hi John,
It works fine I am pleased to say nice sharp image. Changing eyepieces seems quick enough with the bayonet Baader Diascope adapter.
It helps having an excellent tripod and head to keep everything steady.
Looking forward to reading a ring or two.
Peter.

Hi John,
It works fine I am pleased to say nice sharp image. Changing eyepieces seems quick enough with the bayonet Baader Diascope adapter.
It helps having an excellent tripod and head to keep everything steady.
Looking forward to reading a ring or two.
Peter.
Pleased to hear that, Peter.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back