• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

you've taken one of the most difficult species and worked very hard to look at it - goosanders' heads take on some impossible shapes and here are some of them observed very skilfully indeed. I don't see anything wrong with the head on views - as in good scientific experiments, my observations of the species (luckily a common resident in Besançon - and a species that most inhabitants know even if they don't know the name) have the same results - that is to say they really DO look strange head on.

Next time you draw them - they won't get any easier, I can promise! They are difficult buggers and always will be! You can be very proud of these sketches.

Such is the quality on offer on this thread that I'm now relegated to page 2, sob, sniff, sob! I'll have to pull my finger out!

Many thanks for your supportive comments, chaps. It would be good to see you down in God's own county, Tim. From one Yorkshireman to another, I can appreciate the need to abstain from putting your hand in your pocket, mate!

Some redshank sketches from Calder Wetlands. First three are studies of resting birds. The 'sculpting' on these reminds me of something that swedish bloke might have done - ah, ah, ah! Trust me, they are redshank!

Attempts then to get some feeding and, er, wading poses down to which I still struggle greatly to do unless the bird's constantly doing the same thing - which one of them was!

Attachments

• 26 February 2011 1.jpg
    26 February 2011 1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 26 February 2011 (2).jpg
    26 February 2011 (2).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 26 February 2011 (3).jpg
    26 February 2011 (3).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 26 February 2011 (4).jpg
    26 February 2011 (4).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 26 February 2011 (5).jpg
    26 February 2011 (5).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 27
A few more...

As Nick D says, it doesn't get any easier!

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 26 February 2011 (6).jpg
    26 February 2011 (6).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 26 February 2011 (7).jpg
    26 February 2011 (7).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 26 February 2011 (9).jpg
    26 February 2011 (9).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 26 February 2011 (10).jpg
    26 February 2011 (10).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 30
These wading birds are truly superb, Russ - lovely gentle action portrayed perfectly; sensitive lines and just enough fill to give them that touch of solidity.

it doesn't get any easier - but the results DO get better! There are some really nice balanced drawings here - it's interesting that some of your earlier sketches had exaggerated heads (I'll find out some of my earlier stuff to show that I was doing this for years!) - here there are some really good, solid well-proportioned observations. You've found your way around the whole bird, rather than portions of it. Wonderful to see!

Never afraid of the challenging angle are you! Brilliant shanks.

I've been wondering about this thing of sketching getting easier lately; Is it actually a good thing if it does become easy? I find sketching peregrines pretty straightforward now just because I've done so many, but I wonder if I'm in danger of simply redrawing a kind of 'generic peregrine' that comes from my shorthand for them rather than from what I'm seeing in front of me?

Mike

Never afraid of the challenging angle are you! Brilliant shanks.

I've been wondering about this thing of sketching getting easier lately; Is it actually a good thing if it does become easy? I find sketching peregrines pretty straightforward now just because I've done so many, but I wonder if I'm in danger of simply redrawing a kind of 'generic peregrine' that comes from my shorthand for them rather than from what I'm seeing in front of me?

Mike
Insightful musing here, Mike - one which we all address constantly, I'm sure. I really like Nick's take on the subject; the drawing gets no easier, but the results do improve. If it ever gets to be 'simple' (in the easy sense) I'm not sure we would be investigating the possibilities to their full potential.
Whenever (if ever) a certain way of rendering a commonplace scene starts to become purely mechanical, then I think it would be a good time to change the scene or change the approach; draw with a brush or fingers or whatever. Throw it all in the mix - I bet the switch back to conventional media chucks up some delightful conequences. Me - I still wait for the easy drawing to come along :eat:

Cheers boys.
As Nick D observed, the 'big head' syndrome seeems to be common with newcomers to this game. Not like I'm a raw beginner but compared to some of the 'veterans' on here I'm definitely wet behind the ears!

Firstly a couple of sketches of an exceedingly pale 'buzzard'. This controversial bird took up residence near Old Moor RSPB and was believed by some (me included) to be a Rough-legged. It's now believed to be a very odd Common Buzzard but the debate ensues. The thing spent 90% of its time perched up and its very few sorties were made on a fairly horizontal plain.

Back to things a bit easier. In a bid to get more life in my work and find truer lines I'm trying to work quicker, bolder and, oh sxxt, I don't know - more expressive? If it means over-drawing lines or getting the most basic shape down first then that's the way I'll try and go. I've been guilty as sin before by trying to be 'pretty'. Rather belatedly I've realised that this was never the point. For this I blame some of the wonderful sketchbook work here on BF, Particularly that Tim Wooton and that Derry bloke!
From here on, I shall heed the words of some chinese bloke - 'you never stop learning to draw'
Noisy black, white and orange birds from the hide at Old Moor. Efforts to capture probing birds, plus a pair getting a bit frisky. The x-rated stuff starts soon and what a challenge that will be!

Further musings on this life-drawing mallarkey, as always, will be most welcome. Hints, tips? I think I know the answer = Hard graft!

Attachments

• 07 March 2011 (10).jpg
    07 March 2011 (10).jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 07 March 2011 (9).jpg
    07 March 2011 (9).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 07 March 2011 (8).jpg
    07 March 2011 (8).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 07 March 2011 (7).jpg
    07 March 2011 (7).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 37
  • 07 March 2011 (6).jpg
    07 March 2011 (6).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 48
A few more...

Cheers

Russ

Attachments

• 07 March 2011 (5).jpg
    07 March 2011 (5).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 07 March 2011 (4).jpg
    07 March 2011 (4).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 07 March 2011 (3).jpg
    07 March 2011 (3).jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 07 March 2011 (2).jpg
    07 March 2011 (2).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 07 March 2011 1.jpg
    07 March 2011 1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 34
Your work ethic puts me to miserable shame, Russ - some excellent work here (one of the best oiks is upside down). Your investigative study of the buzzard would seem to have nailed the ID - for me anyway (common)- these are lovely drawings.
Incidentally, I wonder what you would think of this bird, had you seen it in the field?

Attachments

• buzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    buzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 69
In a bid to get more life in my work and find truer lines I'm trying to work quicker, bolder and, oh sxxt, I don't know - more expressive?

And I think you're succeeding. Those black, white and orange birds look a lot like our black, brown, white and orange birds except they're missing the brown...........;)

you've made me nostalgic for oyks again - looking at these sketches brings many memories flooding back. (We don't get the buggers here)

Russ,

Been away. But so glad to come back to your wonders!

Remarkable truthful sketches! Love all the latest, and will trawl back to be delighted even more!

Keep up this sketching onslaught. So INSPIRING!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back