• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

Thankyou all.

Western Rajasthan and Gujarat

I'd most like to share with you some memories of a great trip to India. Excellent logistics meant I had more time with the sketchbook than I envisaged, but nowhere near enough time, if you know waht I mean! Most of it was done 'on the hoof' to quote TW (where is he?) and includs lots of notes and pointy things, as a lot of it was new, or not seen for years!
When sketching a species for the first time I always concentrate on the shape; details are often superflous. If time and circumstance allows I try to add detail. Don't try to decipher my scrawl; the notes were written with the same urgency of the bird was sketched!

First up are three globally hreatened species we were fortunate enough to see: Great Indian Bustard, Stoliczka's Bush Chat and Green Avadavat.

First views of the critically endangered Bustard was a bird craning its neck out through the long grass -about half a mile away! Phenomenal views of several birds later on, using our mini bus as a hide. The huge park holds about 40 birds, and we saw probably 25% of 'em. Beyonfd my wildest anticipations!

Attachments

• GIB 5.jpg
    GIB 5.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 39
  • GIB 4.jpg
    GIB 4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 27
  • GIB 1.jpg
    GIB 1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 36
  • GIB 3.jpg
    GIB 3.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 27
  • GIB 2.jpg
    GIB 2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 30
Ahhh, the chat! A pitfall for the unwary is Stonechat, and I unsahamedly fell into this just a few days after grilling our first Stoliczka's! Differences are rather subtle with female and 1st W males; it's an adult male you want but they appeared to be in the minority!
First five are Sketches of female types in the Little Rann, followed by further ones at Banni Grasslands, The Great Rann, and a male, with the clinching white outer tail feathers, also at the latter site. Hopefully my sketches convey something of the heavier, longer-billed, and longer bodied jizz of the species! it ws really good to give this species an extra 'go' and really put it to bed folowing my crisis of confidence with it's much commoner cousin.
I needed my ornitholigists head on, rather than ny pretend bird artist's head!

Attachments

• WBC 1.jpg
    WBC 1.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 36
  • WBC 2.jpg
    WBC 2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 26
  • WBC 3.jpg
    WBC 3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 36
  • WBC 4.jpg
    WBC 4.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 26
  • WBC 5.jpg
    WBC 5.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 34
Male Stoliczka's followed by sketches of Green Avadavat, Brown-headed Barbet and female/juv Crested Bunting.

Green Avadavat is a type of waxbill, or 'cage bird'! Perhaps this is why they are in dire straits! Made these sketches as birds came down to feed in a small holding at Mt Abu - their only 'regular' site. A small, stripey, green and yellow finch basically.
Crested Bunt at Kumbalgarh WLS. A strange lark sized bunt with large eye, wispy crest and long legs -not like a bunting at all!
Brown-headed Barbet sketched whilst posing for us at the same site - an idael model with loads of character.

A lot more to come which you'll hopefully want to see.

Thanks for looking

Russ

Attachments

• WBC 6.jpg
    WBC 6.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 37
  • GA 1.jpg
    GA 1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 33
  • GA 2.jpg
    GA 2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 26
  • CB.jpg
    CB.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 50
  • BHB.jpg
    BHB.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 52
Interesting field sketches Russ, particularly this last bunch where you must have had limited time with the bunting at least.

Do you have any plans to work these up into more complete drawings/paintings?

All great to see Russ. They all have the thrill of being there seeing birds live. I particularly like the last bunch, I think because there's a bit more 'artistry' in them. But what's most important I think is getting down what you see and they all have that.

When I talk about 'artistry' among other things I mean the various line weights and the variety of lines in the outline of the birds, with occasional breaks of white space. It all adds up to very exciting sketching.

Glad to hear the trip was so successful.

As for the missing TW, and even longer missing ND, not to mention others, I do not know. Perhaps it's the song of the FB sirens.

Always a pleasure, some fine passerine structure there from what I would imagine tricky little suckers in the field :king:

Hi Russ...I love the finished stuff posted in Jan, the simplicity is really attractive - will look great breaking up the text of a bird report...if I had to pick a favourite the grebe is outstanding!
Nick

Your sketches are very good! I particularly liked the Brown-headed Barbet, as you say - full of character. It looks like you are working very fast with these sketches, which makes them even more impressive.

Thanks for your supportive commments, including folk who've not visited my thread before. I really appreciate it.

More sketches/studies from my Gujasthan extravaganza.

Four lovely owls:
Jungle Owlet ay Kumbalgarh LWS: What a pocket-sized load of attitude! This bird makes Lil' Owl lok like the austere old butler! Rather crude attempts to capture the lovely fine barring around the face and chest. The rather 'cross eyed' look is difficult to describe. This species clearly shows something of that in real life it's just that my sketch shows it rather too 'cross eyed' if you get my drift! Being eyeballed by this creature does incraese the challenge somewhat!
Study of Pallid Scops Owl at Rann Riders camp: Straight out of the mini bus and it was a case of 'would you like to see the pallid scops owl, sir!' Would we! Here it is in it's bamboo clump day roost. Tried to be a bit arty farty and make the bird stand out among the leaves, which it did - just about!
Mottled Wood Owl at Gir Forest: A think our park guide took a 100r 'bung' to show us this beast, as you're not supposed to leave the vehicle in case you're eaten by lions. The risk was worth it to see this! Sketched using bins whilst sat on the fores floor - probably being watched by lions!

Russ

Attachments

• JO 1.jpg
    JO 1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 32
  • JO 2.jpg
    JO 2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 26
  • pso.jpg
    pso.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Mwo.jpg
    Mwo.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Mwo 2.jpg
    Mwo 2.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 33
Five more...

Study of a Short-eared Owl at Rann Riders its day roost. I find it so difficult not to overwork owls. Just a bit too much farting around and the life is sucked out. I'm learning to keep things very simple!
Studies of Painted Sandgrouse at Nakathrana and Chstnut bellied Sandgrouse at DNP. These birds were just sat their screaming 'sketch me' or even 'paint me'! I could have taken some decent pics with the old digi scoping game but the whole experience is so inane to me. I will be treating myself to a camera some day - they're just so convenient.
Sketches of Striated Grassbird at Ochla Barrage near Delhi. We need Birdboy Bowley to repaint the grassbird plates in the Indian field guide, because the plate for this species is a mile off! Easy for me to talk, I know. As rough as it might be, there is a value to good old field sketching and observation. The yellow eye and rather curved bill are not shown in the guide; but then, for me, it couldn't be any other species. I'll consult the bank of images on OBC and I'll hopefully be proved right.

Memory sketch of Sykes's Nightjar watched in lamp light at Rann Riders. The old Bic does come in handy. Next step - sketch from life with it! I succumbed to photogarphic temptation the following night - see my avatar!

Many thanks for looking

More to come

Russ

Attachments

• SEO.jpg
    SEO.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 37
  • PSg.jpg
    PSg.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Cbs.jpg
    Cbs.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 32
  • SG.jpg
    SG.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 20
  • SNS.jpg
    SNS.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 39
Cheers all!
Demoted to page 2 for perhaps only the second time in over 2 years! It seems I'd better get my finger out! Seriously, I've entered into academia, albeit only in a distance-learning mode but it's been prety time-consuming, but needs must.

More stuff from Gujasthan. If you want to study birds of prey then go to India - enough said! I knew it was good but I'd forgot just how good! Simply put - they are all over the place. I could, of course, spent all the trip just sketching raptors - if I'd got the chance.
Studies of two very impressive species: adult Eastern Imperial Eagle at Sultan Pur Bird Sanctuary, and juv. Black Vulture at Bikaner carcass dump - charming!
Perched atop an acacia bush, Imp Eagle is all stately handsomeness with a real air of menace about it. My first adult - superb!
Black Vulture dwarfing it's Egyptian congeners, and pretty much everything else! A huge, hulking bird, with a cleaver-like bill and clown-like face. The dark eye gave it a look of child-like innocence, too. What a creature!
Never sketched a vulture before so I thought my efforts were quite good.
Like I'm constantly saying - they're fairly easy when they just sit there!

Attachments

• IE 1.jpg
    IE 1.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 51
  • IE 2.jpg
    IE 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 48
  • BV 1.jpg
    BV 1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 47
  • BV 2.jpg
    BV 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 53
  • BV 3.jpg
    BV 3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 52
Dark phase Long-legged Buzzard atop a pylon, sketched whilst chillin at Desert National Park as the sun was setting. I was anticipating my first glass of Indian Shiraz our guide had recommended. I won't be having another!

Flight sketches of pale phase Booted Eagle over lunch at CEDO, and Tawny Eagle at Desert National Park. Ropey, to say the least. To be able to sketch flying raptors convincingly I would have to spend untold hours doing it, which is what I plan to do one day!

Talking of unfamiliar birds. Spoonbills sketched at some place or other whilst taking a cha break. Funny how time constraints focus one's efforts! I thought these were crap at the time but they do capture a certain something.

More to come

Thanks for looking

Russ

Attachments

• BE.jpg
    BE.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 51
  • LLB.jpg
    LLB.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 55
  • TE (2).jpg
    TE (2).jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Spooners 1.jpg
    Spooners 1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 50
  • spooners 2.jpg
    spooners 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 48
Russ - you really made the most of the opportunities on this trip!...these sketches are brilliant and and will be an invaluable resource in the future. Good luck with the studying but make sure you take time out for more sketching!..

Hi Russ,

I have not checked in on your thread in way too long, but just got caught up - and an extremely worthwhile catch-up it was! Your trip and the results sound and look just outstanding. What a great opportunity!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back