• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redwing in garden - early? (1 Viewer)

RoyS

We get the occasional redwing in our garden in the winter and today had our first for this winter. It is 4 weeks earlier than in any year since I started recording, 10 years ago.

Is this a particularly early arrival, or just an early visit to us?

BTW, we are in Suffolk, 7 miles from the coast.

best wishes - Roy

They may be slightly earlier than usual. I saw 20 at Holkham in Norfolk on 2nd October and have seen similar numbers twice since in Nottinghamshire.

Mike

Saw three Redwing on my local patch today plus a Fieldfare. They've been trickling in here in small numbers for about two weeks now.

Reports of several thousands arriving throughout today though.

Still a good garden tick :t:

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't picked up the news about the massive influx.

Ian - our garden backs on to farmland, which adds interest.

best wishes - Roy

We get the occasional redwing in our garden in the winter and today had our first for this winter. It is 4 weeks earlier than in any year since I started recording, 10 years ago.

Is this a particularly early arrival, or just an early visit to us?

BTW, we are in Suffolk, 7 miles from the coast.

best wishes - Roy
This is not early at all, the prime time for arrivals of redwins in recent years is the middle of October

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back