• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed cutter? (1 Viewer)

Jon Turner

I warden a small reserve in North Devon, which has a small pond/lake partly surrounded by trees (mostly Willow) and Phragmites reeds. I have been taking some of the trees out recently to let more light into the pond, and to encourage more reed growth. So I was a bit taken aback this last week or so to find LOTS of the emerging reed tops had been severed and just left floating on the surface of the water. Pic attached. Any idea what might be doing this - I'd like to have words with them!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• DSCN9988 (800x445).jpg
    DSCN9988 (800x445).jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 76
Water Voles are fond of reed shoots but they cause extremely limited damage in our beds and usually consume most of any they sever. Not come across any other mammal or bird that does this, even the swans!

Steve.

Hi Jon
It doesn't really look like Water Vole damage. They are usually neat and cut through the stems cleanly, usually at an angle.
Martin

Thanks for that - I've got Canada Geese breeding, Moorhens and Little Grebes will when the reed cover improves, an occasional Badger gets in, maybe an Otter. Never seen any small water-bound rodents. Could it be Brown Rats? The local Tawny Owls help to reduce their population!

Ah, missed the point about it being emergent (ie just above water level?) Assuming no Nutria or other oddities, not waterbirds (Moorhen etc?) using for nesting material? Someone out there presumably would know ...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back