• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement camera (1 Viewer)

Reader

Last week I had a bad fall and badly damaged both my Canon 50D and my Sigma 150-500.

The insurance company rang me today to say they are writing them both off. They will replace the Lens like for like with a new one but the replacement for the camera will be the Canon 60D (as the 50D is no longer in production). They have also said I could upgrade by paying the difference to either the lens or the camera.

The lens I am staying with as I think for what I use it for it is an excellent piece of kit but I don't know anything about this camera.

The question is would this be a good replacement for the 50D (with the 150-500 lens) or should I upgrade and if so which Canon camera.

I look forward to the advice by the experts on this forum.

John

As someone who had a 50D and now has a 60D and a 7D I would say upgrade to the 7D if you can. The 60D is alright but it's more of a sideways move from the 50D; some things are better, some are worse, particularly for birds or action. Everything on the 7D is better than the 50D, and if you're used to the size and controls of the 50D it will feel more natural.

This assumes the primary use is for birds. The 60D can take just as good shots as the 7D if your subject is a still life/landscape.

Thanks frinky. That's just the sort of advice I am looking for, and yes birds are my passion.

Anymore bits of advice please.

John

As someone who had a 50D and now has a 60D and a 7D I would say upgrade to the 7D if you can. The 60D is alright but it's more of a sideways move from the 50D; some things are better, some are worse, particularly for birds or action. Everything on the 7D is better than the 50D, and if you're used to the size and controls of the 50D it will feel more natural.

This assumes the primary use is for birds. The 60D can take just as good shots as the 7D if your subject is a still life/landscape.

For birds I would go for the 7D every time unless you can afford to go with something like the 1D4.

At the moment they are digging their heels in with the 60D. I have explained why it's not suitable so they have gone away to have a rethink.

John

QUOTE=Roy C;2646788]For birds I would go for the 7D every time unless you can afford to go with something like the 1D4.[/QUOTE]

The 60D does not have AF-MA which was available on your 50D and is available on the 7D. I deliberately bought the 50D after the 60D was available, so as to get the AF-MA feature - and have I needed it!

Thanks Malcolm

They have agreed to give me a cash settlement based on a given price I found on the net for a 7D plus a battery less the £100 excess.

Thinking about it I was wondering if there is an even better camera I might get on the 2nd hand market for between £650 & £800.

Do you guys know the best camera to spend this money on that is also a good camera with the Sigma 150-500 within that price range.

They are also going to give me a salvage price for the 50D. I reckon I can get that repaired for not too much and that would give me a good back up camera.

John

The 60D does not have AF-MA which was available on your 50D and is available on the 7D. I deliberately bought the 50D after the 60D was available, so as to get the AF-MA feature - and have I needed it!

Last edited:
I would still prefer a 7D to a 1D3 myself - more reach (1.6 crop v 1.3 crop) more AF options and lots more pixels for fine detail (and crop-ability?). I know that there are those who would plump for a 1D3 but I am certainly not one of them.

Wow!! now that IS a camera but would it be too good for a 150-500 lens. I am totally happy with this lens but I can't afford to upgrade it anyway.

John

You might just stretch to a used 1D MkIII - check the latest LCE Used List, there's one listed. Or try MPB - I think they have a choice.

Good food for thought Roy.

I am certainly being swayed back to the 7D.

I will have to get a bigger memory card for that camera plus at least one more battery as back up if I do go down that route.

John

I would still prefer a 7D to a 1D3 myself - more reach (1.6 crop v 1.3 crop) more AF options and lots more pixels for fine detail (and crop-ability?). I know that there are those who would plump for a 1D3 but I am certainly not one of them.

Today I was in a hide where some very experienced photographers go and I was chatting to them about the respective merits of the various cameras.

There were two guys in there that were actually using a 7D and the other a 1D 111. The guy with the 1D 111 also owned a 7D.

Both agreed that it would be better to go for a new 7D rather than a 2nd hand 1D that comes within my budget as they reckon for a good 2nd hand 1D you would still have to pay in excess of a grand.

Does anyone else agree with that or do you think differently.

John

Both agreed that it would be better to go for a new 7D rather than a 2nd hand 1D that comes within my budget as they reckon for a good 2nd hand 1D you would still have to pay in excess of a grand.
John

Used 1D Mark III bodies are now in the ~£700 area - check the MPB website. And, they do 10fps. Of course, I'm totally unbiased - I've never held a 7D!

I have checked out a few prices for the 7D and the best prices for UK based companies are from:

Simply Electric £675 (with free delivery)
SLRHut £680 (inc delivery).

has anyone had any dealings with either company as I haven't heard of them before.

Also am I right in thinking that the 7D uses both Compact Flash & SD memory cards?

There are even cheaper deals on Ebay with companies from Hong Kong etc such as £621.89 from T Dimension but I'm not sure if I want to go down that route.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back