• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request advice on Nikon Fieldscope (1 Viewer)

I've bought a number of Fieldscopes at rock bottom prices from eBay by making offers. Japanese sellers often have used scopes in absolutely like new condition, sometimes at excellent "Buy it now" prices. If all you want is a nice scope for views at 20x, a mint Fieldscope 1 (the very first units of which were labeled "Spotting Scope") can be very good. No need for the ED glass (red line) version when used at that magnification. If you want more capability (higher magnifications, more eyepiece compatibility), the ED II series (or 78ED) are generally the best value. I have purchased several, with various eyepieces, in "like new" condition, for ~$300. I rarely bid on eBay and instead make offers on "Buy it now" listings.

--AP

A rather nice EDII here, with the rare stay on case too. If you got the 24x DS/MC eyepiece, you'd have a great set up.
Please may I enquire if you can possibly advise; In regard to the several Nikon Fieldscope on sale from USA: If I were to buy one of these would there be an import fee for me to pay and if so is it a large amount?

I've bought a number of Fieldscopes at rock bottom prices from eBay by making offers. Japanese sellers often have used scopes in absolutely like new condition, sometimes at excellent "Buy it now" prices. If all you want is a nice scope for views at 20x, a mint Fieldscope 1 (the very first units of which were labeled "Spotting Scope") can be very good. No need for the ED glass (red line) version when used at that magnification. If you want more capability (higher magnifications, more eyepiece compatibility), the ED II series (or 78ED) are generally the best value. I have purchased several, with various eyepieces, in "like new" condition, for ~$300. I rarely bid on eBay and instead make offers on "Buy it now" listings.

--AP
Thank you so much for advising about ones from Japan the relative need of ED glass, and the nomenclature of the earliest versions: I have seen ones on sale from Japanese sellers and am going to have a closer look. To be honest I would prefer a bit more than 20x if possible. I am quite excited about Nikon Fieldscopes now and feel it sounds like some real bargains are to be had for what seem to be fine scopes at amazing prices.

--AP
The other gentleman dwatsonbirder has kindly advised about a couple on ebay but as you mention ones from Japan please may I politely enquire if you think the following listing is a good one [Near Mint] Nikon Fieldscope ED 60 scope 800mm f/13.3 (ny1697) | eBay

Please may I enquire if you can possibly advise; In regard to the several Nikon Fieldscope on sale from USA: If I were to buy one of these would there be an import fee for me to pay and if so is it a large amount?
I'm afraid I've no idea, worth looking here though.
The other gentleman dwatsonbirder has kindly advised about a couple on ebay but as you mention ones from Japan please may I politely enquire if you think the following listing is a good one [Near Mint] Nikon Fieldscope ED 60 scope 800mm f/13.3 (ny1697) | eBay
Just note that that scope doesn't come with an eyepiece - looks like a camera adaptor to me.

A couple more here, depending upon budget:

The former only has standard glass, but should still be great with the 30x - a steal for that price. The latter is a bit old, but optically very capable, and as I understand the dealer is sadly closing down, so may be negotiable with the price.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm afraid I've no idea, worth looking here though.

Just note that that scope doesn't come with an eyepiece - looks like a camera adaptor to me.
Thank you again . Please may i further avail of your knowledge : in regard to the attached pic, it looks a bit different to other fieldscopes. Would this one be a fs1, fs2, or fs3, please?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
Thank you again . Please may i further avail of your knowledge : in regard to the attached pic, it looks a bit different to other fieldscopes. Would this one be a fs1, fs2, or fs3, please?
ED78 (produced at the same time as the FSII), again with camera adaptor. Looks pristine though!

That is an awesome scope--the 78ED angled. It was the larger version of the Fieldscope II 60ED. It doesn't come with an eyepiece (only the SLR adapter like the other scope you asked about), but if the price were right, you might be able to get it and find an eyepiece separately (it will take any of the traditional eyepieces, many of which are available for sale new old stock) for a decent overall cost. The lack of eyepiece might be a good price negotiation point. I've seen these sell as low as $400 including eyepiece, but usually more like $500. That would be a great deal since a new old stock eyepiece (25-75 zoom, or 30x DS are both widely available and good for different purposes) would probably be around $230 alone.

--AP

That is an awesome scope--the 78ED angled. It was the larger version of the Fieldscope II 60ED. It doesn't come with an eyepiece (only the SLR adapter like the other scope you asked about), but if the price were right, you might be able to get it and find an eyepiece separately (it will take any of the traditional eyepieces, many of which are available for sale new old stock) for a decent overall cost. The lack of eyepiece might be a good price negotiation point. I've seen these sell as low as $400 including eyepiece, but usually more like $500. That would be a great deal since a new old stock eyepiece (25-75 zoom, or 30x DS are both widely available and good for different purposes) would probably be around $230 alone.

--AP
Thank you once again for that excellent advice. I am very interested in it. This is the link to the item. [Almost MINT w/ Case] Nikon Field Scope ED 78 + 38x WF Eyepiece Lens from JAPAN | eBay
Not being knowledgeable about this things please may I ask because I am confused. You mention there is no eyepiece. However the listing says Nikon Field Scope ED 78 + 38x WF Eyepiece Lens from JAPAN. Also : although it is a "buy it now" item, there is no "make an offer " provision on this listing. Would it be alright to message the seller and make an offer ? edit: crossed lines my mistake: I amlooking at a different one to that one

Last edited:
Thank you once again for that excellent advice. I am very interested in it. This is the link to the item. [Almost MINT w/ Case] Nikon Field Scope ED 78 + 38x WF Eyepiece Lens from JAPAN | eBay
Not being knowledgeable about this things please may I ask because I am confused. You mention there is no eyepiece. However the listing says Nikon Field Scope ED 78 + 38x WF Eyepiece Lens from JAPAN. Also : although it is a "buy it now" item, there is no "make an offer " provision on this listing. Would it be alright to message the seller and make an offer ?
Earnest Lad, there are some great Nikon scopes to be had from Japan and often in great condition. I note your previous question on import tax, I bought the DS x30 eyepiece for £100 from Japan last December, I am fairly sure the import tax was between £30-£40. I was quite shocked. Something to check carefully before you make a purchase.

Not being knowledgeable about this things please may I ask because I am confused. You mention there is no eyepiece. However the listing says Nikon Field Scope ED 78 + 38x WF Eyepiece Lens from JAPAN. Also : although it is a "buy it now" item, there is no "make an offer " provision on this listing. Would it be alright to message the seller and make an offer ? edit: crossed lines my mistake: I amlooking at a different one to that one
That listing with the 38x looks great. It is a straight scope (which I prefer but most don't). The 38x can be a nice general purpose eyepiece, though I prefer the 30x. Shipping brings the price to something still reasonable but not an epic deal. You could contact the seller to make an offer. I've done that in the past. I think they may have had to relist it at a lower price to accept my offer.

--AP

That listing with the 38x looks great. It is a straight scope (which I prefer but most don't). The 38x can be a nice general purpose eyepiece, though I prefer the 30x. Shipping brings the price to something still reasonable but not an epic deal. You could contact the seller to make an offer. I've done that in the past. I think they may have had to relist it at a lower price to accept my offer.

--AP
Thank you for that advice. There is one with a 38x eyepiece and one with no eyepiece but a DSLR digiscope attachment i think. . Please may i enquire (as an interested novice) with a 38x eyepiece and a Nikon D7100 camera attached , what magnification or reach would one obtain and could one expect good pics of birds in the distance compared to , say a sigma 150-600mm lens ?

Thank you for that advice. There is one with a 38x eyepiece and one with no eyepiece but a DSLR digiscope attachment i think. . Please may i enquire (as an interested novice) with a 38x eyepiece and a Nikon D7100 camera attached , what magnification or reach would one obtain and could one expect good pics of birds in the distance compared to , say a sigma 150-600mm lens ?
the photos are nowhere near the quality of a camera with lens ,your camera with lens(at 600mm) would be about 12x mag

I wouldn't recommend the scope for photography using an SLR adapter. No one does that anymore. Mediocre quality, dim view, magnification only that of a long tele lens. These days, "digiscoping" is generally done with the camera lens aligned and matched to the eyepiece. That can be done with an SLR using a small-objective pancake lens, but the view will still be quite dim compared to when using an EVF camera, which work better for that reason.

--AP

I wouldn't recommend the scope for photography using an SLR adapter. No one does that anymore. Mediocre quality, dim view, magnification only that of a long tele lens. These days, "digiscoping" is generally done with the camera lens aligned and matched to the eyepiece. That can be done with an SLR using a small-objective pancake lens, but the view will still be quite dim compared to when using an EVF camera, which work better for that reason.

--AP
Thank you for kindly sharing the knowledge, wisdom , experience and expertise so generously

Well just to let everyone know that I obtained a scope from ebay today for £90gbp which was a 60mm Fieldscope II with 20-45x nikon eyepiece. It is not the ED version but for that price I thought to have a try with it on the basis that at a later date I could probably recoup some of my money if I want to upgrade. I like the small size with its portability. May I thank everyone has helped with advice. This may not be my last scope. The zoom eyepiece is fine but I heard from a kind advisor on this thread that a fixed eyepiece would provide superior optical experience. Please may anyone be able to advise if I ought to change the eyepiece and if so to which eyepiece?

Well just to let everyone know that I obtained a scope from ebay today for £90gbp which was a 60mm Fieldscope II with 20-45x nikon eyepiece. It is not the ED version but for that price I thought to have a try with it on the basis that at a later date I could probably recoup some of my money if I want to upgrade. I like the small size with its portability. May I thank everyone has helped with advice. This may not be my last scope. The zoom eyepiece is fine but I heard from a kind advisor on this thread that a fixed eyepiece would provide superior optical experience. Please may anyone be able to advise if I ought to change the eyepiece and if so to which eyepiece?
Nikon zooms generally have a poor field of view. I would see how you go with this to begin with, it's a great scope for a great price. The DS Wide Angle eyepieces are great, Infocus have one for £150, used.

If you want to 'upgrade' the Nikon ED82 provides a sublime view through the DS x30 WA eyepiece. Can be had for around £650 and occasional come up on eBay. For the view, that price is a bargain.

Nikon zooms generally have a poor field of view. I would see how you go with this to begin with, it's a great scope for a great price. The DS Wide Angle eyepieces are great, Infocus have one for £150, used.

If you want to 'upgrade' the Nikon ED82 provides a sublime view through the DS x30 WA eyepiece. Can be had for around £650 and occasional come up on eBay. For the view, that price is a bargain.
Thank you so much for the advice. I will "wet my feet" with this one scope-wise. LOL.
I guess the ED82 would be wonderful, and by todays prices £650 is not earthshattering is it. And it would last a long time. In fact I there is one on ebay right now Nikon Field-Scope ED D=82 P with tripod | eBay
Please do you know if this is a bargain?

Thank you so much for the advice. I will "wet my feet" with this one scope-wise. LOL.
I guess the ED82 would be wonderful, and by todays prices £650 is not earthshattering is it. And it would last a long time. In fact I there is one on ebay right now Nikon Field-Scope ED D=82 P with tripod | eBay
Please do you know if this is a bargain?
Yeah seen that one, been on a while. The glass looks good, some whiting to the zoom ring and rubber components, not sure why or whether that is a bad thing.

As I said before, it's a top quality scope for a fraction of the price paid for top alphas. The view isn't as good, but it's not far off! The zoom is the main annoyance, bit like looking through a straw ....

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back