• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Argentina in December (1 Viewer)

csanchez7

Hello everyone!:

I am currently planning an exciting end of the year Argentina trip with a good friend of mine, and I would appreciate some advice and feedback on my plans to date. I will likely visit Otamendi, San Clemente del Tuyu, and Costanera Sur before he arrives:

Part I (NW Argentina)

Tafi del Valle, Quebrada la Sosa, El Infiernillo, Quilmes (Bare-eyed and Black-winged Ground-Dove, White-browed Tapaculo, Tucuman Mountain-Finch, Rufous-throated Dipper, Yellow-striped Brush-Finch)

Rio Yala, Calilegua NP (Red-faced Guan, Large-tailed Dove, Montane Screech-Owl, Yungas Pygmy-Owl, Red-tailed Comet, Blue-capped Puffleg, Slender-tailed Woodstar, Dot-fronted and Cream-backed Woodpecker, Tucuman Parrot, White-throated Antpitta, Rust-and-yellow Tanager, Fulvous-headed and White-browed Brush-Finch)

Abra Pampa, Laguna los Pozuelos, Yavi (Andean Goose, other Andean waterfowl, Andean and James's Flamingo, Horned and Giant Coot, Andean Avocet, Puna Plover, Golden-spotted and Bare-faced Ground-Dove, Wedge-tailed Hillstar, Gray-hooded Parakeet, Brown-backed Mockingbird, Citron-headed Yellow-Finch)

Still not sure on a good Chaco site choice (Joaquin V. Gonzalez?) Targets would include species like Black-bodied Woodpecker, Black-legged Seriema, Stripe-backed Antbird, Crested Gallito, Lark-like Brushrunner, Black-crested Finch, and Many-colored Chaco Finch.

I have heard great things about Chancani NP, and I would love to squeeze in Salinas Monjita at Salinas Grandes. Not sure if I have the time?

Part II (Southern Argentina/Patagonia):

Valdes Peninsula, Trelew, Punta Tombo (Elegant Crested-Tinamou, White-headed Steamer-Duck, Gray-bellied and Lesser Shrike-Tyrant, Rusty-backed Monjita, Patagonian Canastero, Patagonian Yellow-Finch, Carbonated Sierra-Finch)

Strobel Plateau, El Calafate, Los Glaciares NP, Rio Gallegos (Hooded Grebe, Spectacled Duck, Austral Pygmy-Owl, Magellanic Woodpecker, Rufous-tailed Plantcutter, Lesser Rhea, White-throated Treerunner, Rufous-legged Owl, Austral Rail, Magellanic Plover, Chocolate-vented Tyrant, Ruddy-headed Goose)

Tierra del Fuego (More chances at wetter forest species like Magellanic Woodpecker, Yellow-bridled Finch, Austral Parakeet, Snowy Sheathbill, Gentoo Penguin, White-throated Caracara, Kelp and Ashy-headed Goose, Magellanic Diving-Petrel, Hooded Grebe @ Estancia La Angostura)

I estimate that we roughly need 13 full days in NW Argentina and 13 full days in Patagonia/Tierra del Fuego.

I would love some feedback on this itinerary. I have a total of 28 days to play with, so we can stay at some sites for longer periods of time.

Will a standard vehicle with good clearance suffice, or do we need a 4wd for some sites?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Carlos,
Important is to get to the Yungas region first - Yala + Calilegua - because the rainy season starts about Mid of December. Muddy roads are almost impossible to drive and very dangerous.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back