• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: most suitable bins for on the water, Alaska and Vancouver Island? (2 Viewers)

laurencejackson

Hi
Im going to the US and Canada next week for a photography trip and will be spending a week bear watching (via boat) at Lake Clark in Alaska, plus pelagic trips in BC. I will be spending a lot of time on the water (small boats) as a result and would like to know which spec bins to take along. I will also be bird watching on the shore and around Homer and Vancouver Island.

I have Swarovski 8x32 EL (quite old now but still good), Swaro 8x25 CL Pocket, 10x42 NL (amazing but I dont warm to them and they feel heavier in the hand) and Zeiss 8x42 SF/black. I am leaning towards the Zeiss, but they are a bit bigger than the Swaros and I am limited with space, as I have all my olympus gear to take. Any thoughts for the best choice?

Thanks!
Laurence

Hi,

the best option would be a pair of IS bins optimized for use on boats... that's the one point where the fujinon 14x40 outclasses the canon IS crowd... But that will be neither cheap nor light and also a one trick pony...

Bar that, any waterproof 8x32, 7x32 or 6x32 pair will be fine... with lower mags being easier to hold steady. I would not take a non-waterproof pair of classic trinis...

Joachim

I have Swarovski 8x32 EL (quite old now but still good), Swaro 8x25 CL Pocket, 10x42 NL (amazing but I dont warm to them and they feel heavier in the hand) and Zeiss 8x42 SF/black. I am leaning towards the Zeiss, but they are a bit bigger than the Swaros and I am limited with space...
From this bit of information it sounds like the 8x32 EL is going to be the one and best choice here.

If I'm stuck on a boat all week I'm taking my 8x42 SF's without hesitation :) It's definitely time to use the flagship of the collection.
Same here. If I do not have to hike or if I know I'm gonna use my binoculars a lot, I'll take my top one. This would be the NL Pure 8x42 for me but any good 8x42 or 8x40 would do.
Canon or Fuji would be another good choice but I've never been able to get used to them (Canon at least, I did not try Fuji). Sometimes I dream of IS binoculars designed by Leica/Swaro/Zeiss.

If I'm stuck on a boat all week I'm taking my 8x42 SF's without hesitation :) It's definitely time to use the flagship of the collection.

Same here. If I do not have to hike or if I know I'm gonna use my binoculars a lot, I'll take my top one. This would be the NL Pure 8x42 for me but any good 8x42 or 8x40 would do.
I only chose the 8x32 as his best/most compact binocular, since he's worried about space and weight.

Not having an 8x42, is it a noticeable upgrade from my 8x32 HD+? Easier to view, brighter, better colors or handling?

Hi
Im going to the US and Canada next week for a photography trip and will be spending a week bear watching (via boat) at Lake Clark in Alaska, plus pelagic trips in BC. I will be spending a lot of time on the water (small boats) as a result and would like to know which spec bins to take along. I will also be bird watching on the shore and around Homer and Vancouver Island.

I have Swarovski 8x32 EL (quite old now but still good), Swaro 8x25 CL Pocket, 10x42 NL (amazing but I dont warm to them and they feel heavier in the hand) and Zeiss 8x42 SF/black. I am leaning towards the Zeiss, but they are a bit bigger than the Swaros and I am limited with space, as I have all my olympus gear to take. Any thoughts for the best choice?

Thanks!
Laurence

Laurence,

A couple of considerations. Between the SW 8x32 and Zeiss 8x42 can you hold one or the other noticeably steadier? If so the steadier image would be far the best for use on "small boats". Would your space/weight limitations allow you to take both the 8x32 and the 8x25? That might be a handy and enjoyable combination for the variety of different viewing situations your trip will include.

Mike

Not having an 8x42, is it a noticeable upgrade from my 8x32 HD+? Easier to view, brighter, better colors or handling?
To me yes. I like the 8x32 HD+ a lot but because I wear glasses, they were not a good fit.
And 8x32 is usually enough to me and compact, light...

But I tried the NL Pure 8x42 and it was love at first sight. They are big and heavy but the eye placement is super easy, the view incredible, the wide field allows me to see things I would have missed and is immersive...
So if I want the best binoculars, they are the one I pick.

But of course, this is a matter of preferences and you should try. Because I could also be very happy if I only had the SLF 8x30 or 8x40 for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back