• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: most suitable bins for on the water, Alaska and Vancouver Island? (1 Viewer)

laurencejackson

Hi
Im going to the US and Canada next week for a photography trip and will be spending a week bear watching (via boat) at Lake Clark in Alaska, plus pelagic trips in BC. I will be spending a lot of time on the water (small boats) as a result and would like to know which spec bins to take along. I will also be bird watching on the shore and around Homer and Vancouver Island.

I have Swarovski 8x32 EL (quite old now but still good), Swaro 8x25 CL Pocket, 10x42 NL (amazing but I dont warm to them and they feel heavier in the hand) and Zeiss 8x42 SF/black. I am leaning towards the Zeiss, but they are a bit bigger than the Swaros and I am limited with space, as I have all my olympus gear to take. Any thoughts for the best choice?

Apologies for x-posting from the Zeiss forum :)

Thanks!
Laurence

When riding on a boat you want a smaller magnification, so that means 8x would be the best.
The reason is the ride is often up and down and higher will make things more difficult.
Take the 8x32 EL or the Zeiss SF, both great choices, and will be much more comfortable than the 8x25.

Chances are the captain of your boat will have a 7x50 at the helm, the Zeiss marine 7x50 BGAT is famous for
being the most popular binocular you will find for this purpose.
Enjoy your trip, it sounds like a great vacation.
Jerry

Hi
Im going to the US and Canada next week for a photography trip and will be spending a week bear watching (via boat) at Lake Clark in Alaska, plus pelagic trips in BC. I will be spending a lot of time on the water (small boats) as a result and would like to know which spec bins to take along. I will also be bird watching on the shore and around Homer and Vancouver Island.

I have Swarovski 8x32 EL (quite old now but still good), Swaro 8x25 CL Pocket, 10x42 NL (amazing but I dont warm to them and they feel heavier in the hand) and Zeiss 8x42 SF/black. I am leaning towards the Zeiss, but they are a bit bigger than the Swaros and I am limited with space, as I have all my olympus gear to take. Any thoughts for the best choice?

Apologies for x-posting from the Zeiss forum :)

Thanks!
Laurence
I was bear watching at Lake Clark two weeks ago, flew in by small plane and also saw people coming in by boat. No mosquito issues, but did bring DEET just in case. Binos brought were Zeiss VP8x25 and Kowa BDII42-10XD. Both were used the week previously from cruise ship for pelagic viewing and onshore. Also taken for hiking in Alaska separate from the Lake Clark. Did not take a small scope, the scope would not have been helpful for my viewing of the bears since we were within 20 m of them in some cases and around 100 m for extended periods of time. I found either of the binos great for the circumstance. Left Swaro units at home in case of possible loss during the trip. Photos taken with Samsung S22 mobile phone, no bino or scope. Saw a rufous hummingbird at Lake Clark Silver Salmon Creek area. And I was pretty excited to see a Tufted Puffin at sea near the Haines area.

Attachments

• 20230610_151735.jpg
    20230610_151735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230610_130114.jpg
    20230610_130114.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back