• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Reed Buntings in Andalucia (1 Viewer)

Gruff Dodd

Sorry to bother you again with another RFI, but does anyone have any info on where to find Reed Buntings of the subspecies witherbyi in Western Andalucia, please?

I may be taking a long weekend to Sevilla in mid-February, and would like to try to catch up with this form during the trip, but I understand this bird to be rather local and scarce in its distribution. Unfortunately, being "only" a subspecies of an otherwise widespread and common species, the amount of detailed info I have been able to unearth has been very small.

I understand that the Coto Donana is a good spot, but it's such a large area that I'm hoping to obtain some rather more detailed info - is the Acebuche reserve a reliable spot? Any other reliable and easily accessible areas in the park?

Any other spots nearby? The only other site I've identified from which Reed Buntings have been reported is Laguna Medina, but not sure if this is reliable, and if the reports refer to this form or wintering northern birds.

As always, any info would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Gruff

Unfortunately no pairs were found breeding anywhere in Andalucia in the 2005 Reed Bunting breeding census. They may persist somewhere but very very scarcely. Tablas de Daimiel (in Ciudad Real province) is the closest area to Sevilla with a decent breeding population afaik.
But February is winter time and they could be found anywhere in Andalucia I guess. The problem is they are very scarce, and also that thousands of european Reed Buntings will be wintering in Spain at the same time, so acurate iding can get very hard.
Good luck!
Eduardo

Hi Gruff. Las Tablas de Daimiel, the Vicario Reservoir and La Mancha Wetlands (Alcazar de San Juan) are the more reliable and closet places to Seville for the Emberiza schoeniclus witherbyi. If you have time enough Daimiel is the site. If not you can try in Vicario Reservoir, just 10 minutes from Ciudad Real city (affordable by AVE train directly from Seville).

Vicente.

Eduardo, Vicente - gracias ambos por su ayuda - I am very grateful for the information.

Espero que podria visitar a las Tablas de Daimiel!

Saludos,

Gruff

Eduardo, Vicente - gracias ambos por su ayuda - I am very grateful for the information.

Espero que podria visitar a las Tablas de Daimiel!

Saludos,

Gruff

Hi Gruff.

An advice: don't visit Las Tablas on week-end! Since it's plenty of water everyone wants to visit the park. Today we went to Las Tablas to catch a glimpse and we didn't watch anything. It's crowed of visitors talking and shouting at the same time! What a pity: two months before the park was empty of water, but also empty of visitors and full of birdlife; now it's full of water, people, children, dogs... Avoid week-ends and try to go there early in the morning.

Vicente.

Thanks Vicente, that's good advice.

Saludos

Gruff

Hi Gruff.

An advice: don't visit Las Tablas on week-end! Since it's plenty of water everyone wants to visit the park. Today we went to Las Tablas to catch a glimpse and we didn't watch anything. It's crowed of visitors talking and shouting at the same time! What a pity: two months before the park was empty of water, but also empty of visitors and full of birdlife; now it's full of water, people, children, dogs... Avoid week-ends and try to go there early in the morning.

Vicente.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back