• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring-necked Dove vs Red-eyed Dove - Tanzania (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
6 July 2013. Gibb's Farm, Karatu, Arusha Region, Tanzania. I originally thought this was a Red-eyed Dove because it seems to show reddish eyes. But looking more closely, it has gray orbital skin. Now I'm having second thoughts. Is it just a Ring-necked Dove with reddish/amber eyes?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Red-eyedDoveP1110354.jpg
    Red-eyedDoveP1110354.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 79
Thanks but it's not African Collared-Dove (Streptopelia roseogrisea) which does not occur in Tanzania. I was asking about Ring-necked Dove (Streptopelia capicola) vs. Red-eyed Dove (Streptopelia semitorquata). Both occur in the area.

If I remember correctly the red bare skin around the eye (which is sometimes not that obviously red) should make this a Red-eyed

Here is a close up.

Here is a close up of the head. It looks to me like the orbital skin is gray or blue-gray. Also the iris looks golden-brown, not red.

Attachments

• Dove-portraitP1110354.jpg
    Dove-portraitP1110354.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 82
Exact but eye colour alone is diagnostic down here.

Black = Ring-necked
Red = Red-eyed
White/yellow = African Mourning

I remain unclear which species this is. I posted a close up and I do not see the eye as truly red, nor is it yellow, nor is it all dark. Any clarification would be helpful.

If I remember correctly the red bare skin around the eye (which is sometimes not that obviously red) should make this a Red-eyed

Exact!

I think it is NOT Streptopelia capicola but most likely Streptopelia semitorquata

Exact.

Your bird has red eyes and it is a Red-eyed Dove.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back