• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringing course in Zambia (1 Viewer)

weavers4africa

Dieter Oschadleus
The Zambian Ornithological Society invited me to run a ringing course on Bovu Island, on the Zambezi River, about 60 km upstream of Victoria Falls.

The bird ringing course ran from 30 March to 3 April, and was attended by 10 trainees. One of the trainees, Rory McDougal, was qualified as a fully-fledged ringer – he had substantial previous experience of ringing. During the course, we caught a total of 327 birds of 45 different species. The species of which we caught the most birds was Red-billed Quelea; 128 were ringed (mostly juveniles). Interesting birds for me were ones I had not handled before: Tropical Boubou, Coppery Sunbird, White-fronted Bee-eater, Yellow-bellied Sunbird. Some birds were migrants, probably en route north: Red-backed Shrike, European Marsh Warbler, European Reed Warbler.

During this trip, I made a collection of new Zambian records for the PHOWN (PHOtos of Weaver Nests, http://weavers.adu.org.za/phown.php) project.

My flights to Livingstone, and the course costs, were sponsored by the Zambian Ornithological Society. To see more photos and a full species list of ringed birds, see trip report at http://weavers.adu.org.za/trip2012zm.php

Attachments

• netforum.JPG
    netforum.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back