• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Frampton Marsh (1 Viewer)

Frampton 1330-1630

2 x Curlew Sandpipers, Little Stint, Wood Sandpiper, Glossy Ibis, Spotted Redshank, Knot, Dunlin, Spoonbill, plus the large numbers of Black Tailed Godwit, Little Ringed and Ringed Plover, Kestrel, Marsh Harrier.

There has been mention in the twitterverse of a record of 24 different wader species seen on the reserve in a single day. From the 360 hide from 1825 to 1950 this evening I managed 21 wader species and FIVE spoonbill.
Also two different avocets from the same colour ring scheme in Ely (Red D5 and Red E6) this makes a total of four different CR Avocets I have seen at Frampton including a bird from Denmark that I haven't yet had good enough views to read the combination on the Darvic.
Waders seen from the 360 this evening: Oystercatcher, Avocet, Lapwing, Golden Plover, Ringed Plover, LRP, Whimbrel, Common Snipe, Black Godwit, Bar Tailed Godwit, Redshank, Spotshank, Greenshank, Common sandpiper, green sandpiper, wood sandpiper, ruff, dunlin, little stint, curlew sand, knot. A curlew on the way back to the car made 22 wader species. Also 2 CR blackwit combinations bringing total for this autumn migration to 66

Hi Fred. John Badley hit 25 on Monday morning...

http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21102

Like you say, it's hard not to hit 20+ wader species at Frampton at the minute. Black-tailed Godwit and Dunlin numbers are going through the roof, particularly at high tide. Love this time of year. Scanning through the flocks and landing on a Curlew Sandpiper or Knot still in breeding plumage, or picking out a Little Stint scurrying along the fringe of a pool, or a Wood Sandpiper methodically working it's way along a channel.

Spent an hour or so this evening scouring the reedbed for the earlier Bittern, but with no success. The Glossy Ibis was still about though.

Yup, but I'm talking about birds seen from one spot: basically as a reserve I reckon not even Cley could outdo 21 species from one hide in 90 minutes, incredible!

New Country for CR sightings this evening: Northern Ireland (BHG)
List now stands at 9: Iceland (Blackwit), Norway (Knot), Denmark (Avocet), Lithuania (BHG), Holland (Blackwit), France (Tufted Duck and Blackwit), Spain (Dunlin), Portugal (Blackwit)
My money is on something from Poland next

No reputable news that I've heard of the white-rumped sandpiper today. Quite a few mis-IDs of dunlin though!

Still a lot of good birds about. Little stint, curlew sand, wood sand can all be found with a little care. Report of a young merlin today too. Garganey were on the scrapes, and the glossy ibis is still with us, as is a spoonbill.

In Odonata news, first reported emerald damselfly for the reserve.

Broke the 100 barrier for Black-tailed Godwit CR sightings this autumn with current tally of 110. There is at least one knot with a CR from Norway kicking about at high tide, but it has an above knee flag with three characters that is a sod to read.

Having a few people reporting the ringed birds really does give a decent picture of their movements. One bird was seen at both Gibraltar Point and Frampton Marsh on the same day last week, and it also did a day trip into Cambridgeshire while 'based' at Frampton.

Steve

Highlights between 1830-2045 this evening:-

1 Glossy Ibis
1 Spoonbill
c2500 Black-tailed Godwit
c600 Dunlin
c80 Ringed Plover
c60 Ruff
22 Knot
3 Little Stint
3 Turnstone
3 Spotted Redshank
2 Greenshank
2 Grey Plover
2 Common Sandpiper
1 Green Sandpiper
1 Curlew Sandpiper
1 Barn Owl

Indeed a great evening. Just a shame the phalarope did not put in an appearance but you can't win them all. We also had a juvenile marsh harrier being mobbed by a kestrel on the salt marshes around 6:00pm, plenty of swallows there still and a curlew. 45 species in total. Thank you for the info on the Brent geese that were by East Hide when we first arrived in 360.
Ian

Highlights between 1830-2045 this evening:-

1 Glossy Ibis
1 Spoonbill
c2500 Black-tailed Godwit
c600 Dunlin
c80 Ringed Plover
c60 Ruff
22 Knot
3 Little Stint
3 Turnstone
3 Spotted Redshank
2 Greenshank
2 Grey Plover
2 Common Sandpiper
1 Green Sandpiper
1 Curlew Sandpiper
1 Barn Owl

And at least 49 of the godwits were colour-ringed, all noted.

plus 3 Wood Sandpipers and 7 Little Terns around the same time.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back