• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB going to phase scannable membership cards from September 2023 (3 Viewers)

"at our larger nature reserves"
be interesting to see which reserves make the cut - it’s not clear to me why this is necessary but presumably ‘senior management' deem it to be valuable

"at our larger nature reserves"
be interesting to see which reserves make the cut - it’s not clear to me why this is necessary but presumably ‘senior management' deem it to be valuable
I'd have thought a normal logical move - along with the ability to carry a digital membership card so you can just scan your phone for entry. Simple and easy, never need to worry about forgetting your card.

I'd have thought a normal logical move - along with the ability to carry a digital membership card so you can just scan your phone for entry. Simple and easy, never need to worry about forgetting your card.
I just have a pic on my phone of my RSPB cards and its never been an issue. They just look at my phone and let me through. Not sure why they have to change it.

Check the small print for little snippets of them selling their user data to other 'providers'. Opted out. Way out.

Automated car park? Scanned entry, saves manpower?
automated car park- so you would have to pay or present your card before entering the car park- seems more of a hassle then anything.

Also very few RSPB reserves have paid parking areas anyway- with the fee being for entering the reserve. Plus I also like having staff there- just feels more welcoming. I also have an issue with any apps etc, which may sell users data.

Edit- also aren’t most staff volunteers? I’ve met a few special needs volunteers who seemed to really value these positions- so I hope it doesn’t affect that either.

automated car park- so you would have to pay or present your card before entering the car park- seems more of a hassle then anything.
Idea is you just scan where otherwise you'd need to pay. No hassle, you don't even need to get out of the car.

IT solutions are generally way ahead here in LT than the UK, and certainly more used by the mainstream, so frequently ideas seem to be more often frowned upon in the UK

The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust have has Scannable Membership Cards for at least 20 years possible. The National Trust then followed a long a long time after and now the RSPB.

Check the small print for little snippets of them selling their user data to other 'providers'. Opted out. Way out.
Just spotted this. Good spot Ratal, Nasty ! Clearly the smell of money has overpowered the RSPB's concerns about reputational damage. I stopped my membership several years ago so it won't affect me, and they wont care what I think, but I certainly now hold them in a lower regard than I did before reading this post.

The RSPB is not selling your data. There is no small print. These cards are being introduced to raise funds by stopping abuse through card sharing and use of expired membership.

"* We may provide your personal information (such as name, email address or phone number) to digital advertising or social media companies who work on our behalf (such as Facebook and Instagram)*"

Then there is that little gem.

so, no. No I will not provide a penny to an organisation that will freely tip my details to social media giants who will then double down on using that data for THEIR PROFITS.

None of that has anything to do with scannable cards!
Well, maybe it does. I go to some lengths to prevent companies getting geographic data enabling them to know my movements at the time or afterwards for whatever reason. When the RSPB says data "such as" email, address etc it doesn't rule out "dates and times of use of RSPB facilities" so I agree with Ratal and I don't like it. I shall be checking up on what my RSPB data currently say and ensuring opt outs are ticked so they can't pass on such details. If it turns out I can't cover that issue to my satisfaction then I shall leave the RSPB and they can drop another member from their numbers.

John

Well, maybe it does. I go to some lengths to prevent companies getting geographic data enabling them to know my movements at the time or afterwards for whatever reason. When the RSPB says data "such as" email, address etc it doesn't rule out "dates and times of use of RSPB facilities" so I agree with Ratal and I don't like it. I shall be checking up on what my RSPB data currently say and ensuring opt outs are ticked so they can't pass on such details. If it turns out I can't cover that issue to my satisfaction then I shall leave the RSPB and they can drop another member from their numbers.

John
They don't need to track your movements using geographic data, they can just read your regular updates on Birdforum, up to the Shetlands et al :)

so, no. No I will not provide a penny to an organisation that will freely tip my details to social media giants who will then double down on using that data for THEIR PROFITS.
You, I, all of us and birds benefit from the pennies you give to the RSPB, is it really worth withholding that money to prevent a possible miniscule addition to profits of a social media company?

They don't need to track your movements using geographic data, they can just read your regular updates on Birdforum, up to the Shetlands et al :)
To the extent that I set them out, which is generally less than complete. I hope I'm not in line for a tinfoil hat but when I try to help a charity with an annual membership fee I don't expect it to respond by passing any of my data - and my movements are my data - to anybody else, whether for money or not. If it is for money, they need to make a judgement on whether losing the support of real people who care about birds is worth a bit of extra dosh from selling out those supporters. It doesn't matter whether its legal or not. I'm quite clear about it: the only weapon I have in this argument is my subscription and if they won't guarantee not to sell my data for any purpose at all then they can do without the subscription - which will then lose them the other money as well.

John

How will this prevent fraudulent use? If you want to lend your card to someone who's having a day out, how does this prevent that?
If they’re following the National Trust example, it only stops you passing your card "through the fence" for your mate to gain free entry. It also prevents you and a mate using it on the same day at different reserves (i.e. using a good copy or fraudulent duplicate)
Feels like they’re curing a problem that might not exist.
I'd like to see the research that led to this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back