• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

All 3 chicks can now fly and all 5 took off simultaneously tonight and took a short hop over to the centre of Jubilee wetlands. If that was their maiden flight it was perfect and well choreographed.

Also Curlew heard on JW but couldn't be located until it eventually flew West.

Finally I've concluded Tuesday is not a good night with the constant shooting on the Dosthill side, Boney M playing at full volume from the water ski boats and a steady stream of dogs up and around North pit.

There is also a red ringed Juvenile gull in the roost on JW presumably a Lesser Black-Backed but couldn't quite read the letters.

Steve

No change up the reserve this afternoon. Still 9 Avocet (2+3) on JW and (2+2) on NP. At least 4 if not 6 Redshank about, 3 Ringed Plover and Hobby.

Not a sole down the reserve tonight - hope it wasn't my report from last week that put people off. Highlight tonight was 2 Med Gull flying in from the South, landing on JW for a couple of minutes before continuing Northwards. Also around were 20+ Ringed Plover, 4 Redshank, 9 Avocet and single Green Sandpiper on both JW and Hall Lake.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
The total species of birds seen in June were 92 which is down on the last two years but better than Sandwell Valley's 83 and Upton Warren's 87. We missed Pochard, Sparrowhawk and all the Owls unless anyone knows different?
12 species of wader were noted.
Geoff

Geoff

I had Sparrowhawk on the 23rd June.

Steve
Thanks both, 94 it is then. I'm sure Barn Owl and Tawny are still around but Little Owl seem to have disappeared since February.
I did see a drake Pochard today plus 4 Redshank and 4 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake but nothing new in, just 53 species seen.
Geoff

White-winged Black Tern on Jubilee Wetlands as per RBA. Also 20 Blackwits reported.
I came in from the Dosthill side this afternoon and the first things I saw over the bridge on the JWs were 20 Black-tailed Godwit then just a few yards further on was a nice summer plumage White-winged Black Tern resting on one of the small islands, later it flew around showing it's white tail and wings.
The hot sunny weather must have put any other birders off visiting as there wasn't a soul around, however after putting out the news a few trickled in. Hope it stays around.
It appears it's 10 years since the last one was here.
Geoff

I came in from the Dosthill side this afternoon and the first things I saw over the bridge on the JWs were 20 Black-tailed Godwit then just a few yards further on was a nice summer plumage White-winged Black Tern resting on one of the small islands, later it flew around showing it's white tail and wings.
The hot sunny weather must have put any other birders off visiting as there wasn't a soul around, however after putting out the news a few trickled in. Hope it stays around.
It appears it's 10 years since the last one was here.
Geoff

Nice one Geoff - 1st August 2005 was the last bird

One thing perhaps I should have mentioned earlier, I had a possible Serin along the road past the Villa training ground on the 27th June (just saw the yellow rump as it dived into a hedge). I stopped the car and went back for a look but no sign of the bird. Later I noted 2 Serin had been reported in the country that day but also Siskins are coming in along the Lincs coast.
I had another look yesterday, just in case but still no sign, no fun looking along the road as there are multitudes of lorries going back and forth along there at present.
Geoff

I came in from the Dosthill side this afternoon and the first things I saw over the bridge on the JWs were 20 Black-tailed Godwit then just a few yards further on was a nice summer plumage White-winged Black Tern...
Geoff

Great find Geoff!
I was cursing last night as I'd just driven to the Suffolk coast and then I saw your report! Couldn't have got over last night anyway so not feeling too bad now but I'd love to have seen it.
Saw 20 Common Scoter over the sea and 5 Spotted Redshank on Minsmere, so not a completely wasted journey.

Steve

Quick dash round this morning. Nice to see Greenshank up on NP. Second brood of Avocet with both adults are still there. The first brood may have left as I've not seen them since Thursday. Also 3 Redshank on JW and could only find one each of LRP and RP but it was a rushed visit.

Steve

Quick dash round this morning. Nice to see Greenshank up on NP. Second brood of Avocet with both adults are still there. The first brood may have left as I've not seen them since Thursday. Also 3 Redshank on JW and could only find one each of LRP and RP but it was a rushed visit.

Steve

The first brood of Avocets were still around on Friday but I didn't see them Sunday. Anyone see them Saturday?

Greenshank still tonight in same position as yesterday - left bay from hide. Avocet - 2 chicks & 1 adult, 2 Redshank and 2 Little Egret plus more Common Terns than you can point a stick at.

Car park now locked in evening which is no good for me so looks like a water ski centre pass as opposed to RSPB membership. The theory is it will stop the undesirables but they've just parked up on the road tonight to continue to use the shelter to smoke their wacky bacci.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back