• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Did anyone hang around for the starlings tonight. Interested to know if numbers increased further or was last night their swan song. Manual count of last nights partial flock picture returned 8,436 birds so there was well over 10,000 last night and birds still going in when I left.

Appeared to be similar numbers to Thurs but hard to tell as they all went down to roost in lots of separate little groups, never seen them do that before. They seemed to be back in the usual reedbed nearest the viewing platform

I hear the bridge is still not ready to use, due to `Health & Safety`!!
Apparrently they havn`t grouted under the Base Plates properly, a very basic requirement in the construction industry. Its lucky the RSPB aren`t paying. I wonder if there was a Penalty clause for not completing on time.
Highly unlikely, as no completion date formerly given? (OR YEAR!)

Well thats got that of my chest.

Richard

Did the starlings show last night?

About 5000 came together over silt pool but they went elsewhere to roost. Probably Fishers Mill.

They threw some nice shapes though including a snake chasing a rat. Looks better if you've had a few pints and you squint.

Steve

Attachments

• Rat.jpg
    Rat.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
"Elf and Saft - ee" They would'nt have the Normandy landings now 'cos the pollen count would be too high!;)

There must be a huge committee 'working' on that bridge and some lonely Polish bloke doing all the work - they will get the thing done, just in time for the Spring flooding to wash out the waders nests..........again!

Laurie:t:

Lunchtime dash round reserve produced 9 Ringed Plover, 2 LRP, 3 Dunlin, 4 Redshank, 2 Oystercatcher, 1 Little Egret and 20 Snipe all on JW - nothing on NP.
Path has not advanced further as they are working on the stream bridge. River bridge still closed.

Sounds a good CV filler - Base Plate Grouter? Gotta be better than a Base Plate Grouters Mate;)

First day of BST so don't leave the house without your wellies, altho they will probably always be in the car if yr Muddleton-bound.....

Laurie:t:

Seen today were,2 drake Pintail, 5 Goosander, 6 Little Egret, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Avocet, 1 LRP, 1 Curlew, 5 Redshank, 2 Med Gulls and 4 Mipit. 2 Snipe were reported. Most of the birds were on NP.
Yesterday 3 Sand Martin flew through.
Geoff.

John Belsey of Upton Warren fame has asked me to mention the Bird race on Saturday 25th April, anyone interested in giving it a go again?
Sounds good at the moment with 2 Avocet still and a Whimbrel reported today, I'm in Lincs at the moment though.
Geoff

2 Avocet, 2 Common Tern, Dunlin in summer plumage, LRP and Redshank on Jubilee Wetlands. 3 House Martin over Fishers Mill and 1 over Bodymoor Heath Road. Lots of Chiffchaff in the woods and around the reserve. Lots of Blackcap in the woods. Spring seems to have sprung!

Steve

Four year ticks for me today, 1 Garganey, 1 Yellow Wagtail and a Wheatear on NP and 3 singing Willow Warblers. Also around were 2 Goosanders, 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Avocet, 9 Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 3 Redshank, 1 Dunlin, 4 Swallow and 2 Blackcap. 2 Common Tern were reported.
Geoff.

Haven't been to Middleton for a couple of months! Just wondered what it is like underfoot and is the bridge open yet?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back