• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (10 Viewers)

A bit different walking around Middleton this morning compared to the North Tenerife mountains where I was a few days ago! Saw 6 endemic species while I was there despite it being a 'non-birding' holiday eh eh.
Anyway, between the blustery rain showers at Middleton I saw a Dunlin, 2 Ringed Plover, c350 Golden Plover and 2 Stonechat (4 reported) on JWs. There were 12 Goldeneye on Dosthill NR and 2 Oystercatcher on the North Pit. A Brambling was reported by the path on the NW corner of the Jws but I didn't see it, which is a shame as they are so scarce this winter.
All the best
Steve

A bit different walking around Middleton this morning compared to the North Tenerife mountains where I was a few days ago! Saw 6 endemic species while I was there despite it being a 'non-birding' holiday eh eh.
Anyway, between the blustery rain showers at Middleton I saw a Dunlin, 2 Ringed Plover, c350 Golden Plover and 2 Stonechat (4 reported) on JWs. There were 12 Goldeneye on Dosthill NR and 2 Oystercatcher on the North Pit. A Brambling was reported by the path on the NW corner of the Jws but I didn't see it, which is a shame as they are so scarce this winter.
All the best
Steve
Hi Steve, After seeing you I did a count of the Golden Plover and reckon there were close to a thousand birds all told also a total of 8 Ringed Plover were at the north end of JWs with the Dunlin.
7 Goosander were on the river and a further 1 or 2 on NP.
A Pink-footed Goose was with the Greylags and circa 160 Siskin with some Redpoll and Goldfinch were at DNR.

Hi Steve, After seeing you I did a count of the Golden Plover and reckon there were close to a thousand birds all told also a total of 8 Ringed Plover were at the north end of JWs with the Dunlin.
7 Goosander were on the river and a further 1 or 2 on NP.
A Pink-footed Goose was with the Greylags and circa 160 Siskin with some Redpoll and Goldfinch were at DNR.

That's a lot of Golden Plover Geoff, and you found some more Ringed! Hope you didn't get too wet, it was getting quite nasty when I left you.
By the way that chap Jeremy took a digiscoped picture of a Water Rail under the feeders, after your comment about the lack of photos on this thread I encouraged him to post it, if it's a decent shot. Also, I forgot to mention there was a Goldcrest on Fisher's Mill bridge.
All the best
Steve

Last edited:
Golden Plover numbers had grown to well over a 1000 this afternoon. Managed a flight shot counted at 700 and there were still 300-400 on the deck. Difficult to count through the scope in that wind. Only other birds of note were 3 Ringed Plover and 2 Stonechat.

Steve

Golden Plover numbers had grown to well over a 1000 this afternoon. Managed a flight shot counted at 700 and there were still 300-400 on the deck. Difficult to count through the scope in that wind. Only other birds of note were 3 Ringed Plover and 2 Stonechat.

Steve

Hi Steve, Glad to see your count of Golden Plovers agrees with mine. Some are coming into breeding plumage. I haven't found any Dotterel amongst them yet but it's worth looking.

Today a Great White Egret was again seen in the heronry with 2 or 3 Little Egret. Also seen were 5 Goosander, 4 Oystercatcher, 3 Ringed Plover, 3 Stonechat and hundreds of Golden Plover.

Hi Steve, Glad to see your count of Golden Plovers agrees with mine. Some are coming into breeding plumage. I haven't found any Dotterel amongst them yet but it's worth looking.

Geoff - I never thought about scanning them for Dotterel but will do in the future. Yep numbers were well over 1000 and as the group that stayed on the ground were in the longer grass on the West then there were probably a lot more not visible. Good to see you got the GWE again today. I thought it was time for an early morning Heronry watch but I can stay in bed now.

Steve

While repairs are underway to our access route through the former gravel quarry it has been necessary to close the track to RSPB visitors. We are working with the site owners to make the repairs as soon as possible so that we can reopen as normal shortly.

In the mean time visitors can park at Broomey Croft and walk to the reserve along the canal towpath or at Cliff Lakes and access the reserve via the riverside path. Visitors to Middleton Hall or the Courtyard will still be able to walk onto the reserve as the paths will remain open as normal.

Please keep an eye on the website for further updates. Information about this will be posted imminently on the website and social media. Please can you help get the message to people you know might be visiting us.

Many thanks,

Nick Martin
Site Manager

RSPB Birmingham, Black Country & Warwickshire
18 February at 14:37 ·
The access track to RSPB Middleton Lakes is now fully open to visitors. Repairs to the route through the former gravel quarry have now been made. Thank you for your patience during the last few days.

I notice that Jon Morgan tweeted that he flushed a Green Sandpiper on the 'Dosthill boating lake' which I assume is the water ski lake this afternoon, as well as a SEO.

Steve

Highlights today were 1 Peregrine, 4 Oystercatcher, 1,200 Golden Plover per PF, 7 Ringed Plover, 3 Snipe, 1 Dunlin, Tawny Owl calling from the Plantation, 3 Stonechat and Short-eared Owl reported.

Tried to get up early to check if the GWE was back in the roost but only managed 7am and probably need to be there at 6.30. Checked again tonight and by 6pm just 35 Little Egret, 1 Water Rail and 2 Rats. Left Steve A doing the graveyard shift so look forward to his report.

Steve

Sorry to disappoint Steve, I was there until 6:30 and it was a no show I'm afraid.
I was on the reserve from 3:30 so later than Geoff and I saw: A Short-eared Owl over the Dosthill Ski pool bund at 5:05pm; 2 Dunlin, 11 Ringed Plover, 3 Oyster Catcher and 5 Shelduck on JWs along with what I originally counted as c550 Golden Plover on the ground - I later took a photo of them in the air and analysing that I now revise it to 645 (Geoff, did you count the 1200, I'm not sure what PF is, am I being thick?). Also a Water Rail under the feeders and 7 Goosander around the reserve. I didn't get to the North Pit today.

All the best

Steve

Highlight today was to actually see the Great White Egret in the roost rather than just a brief glimpse as it flies in or out. Perched up quite high initially before dropping down out of sight. Also new in was an Egyptian Goose with the Greylags in the field up the West side of North Pit. Managed a good flight shot/count of the Golden Plover which totalled 597 and also on the reserve were 7 Ringed Plover, 2 Stonechat and 1 Dunlin. 1750 Starlings roosted at Silt Pool.
A good afternoon and although the car park was full there was no one on the reserve.
I’ve attached a couple of naff shots of the GWE and Egyptian Goose.

Attachments

• GWE2.jpg
    GWE2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Egyptian.jpg
    Egyptian.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back