• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

Black-necked Grebe

Thanks John. Had a good trip to the lake this morning and saw all 4 of the grebes. I can't quite make out their domestic arrangements though - while there's an obvious pair the 3rd bird seems to be able to intrude at will...

I was looking at distribution maps this afternoon... is this one of the areas where BNGs tend to breed?

All the best
Rich

Hi Rich, They have never bred here, they are feeding well at the moment however when the speedboats are out at the weekend they may relocate.

Regards, John

Had a walk around Dosthill Lake today- Unfortunately I saw no Black-Necked Grebe but highlights was an immature Little Gull and a Common Tern flew over.

Chris

Dosthill Lake

They were still of there Saturday evening about 7.00pm. Perhaps the boat activity has moved them on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 49
26/4/13 Fisher's mill fem/imm Marsh Harrier over reeded pool mobbed by a crow eventually flying towards Midleton Hall (John Mallinson, JH).
No sign of the 2 Black-necked Grebe Dosthill lake East side today, Geoff Williams said yesterday the powerboat with water skier just powered at the birds, the birds struggling to get out of the way, Geoff could only see 1 bird after this.

Regards, John

Butterflies & moths

Seen on the Reserve today 3/6/13 Pic 1 & 2 Colour variation of Dingy Skipper, pic 3 Small Yellow Underwing moth my first record for the Reserve and Mother Shipton.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 029#019.jpg
    029#019.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 033#021.jpg
    033#021.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 027#019.jpg
    027#019.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 035#027.jpg
    035#027.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 41
Middleton Lakes

2 Little Tern from this morning on the Staffs side (resting on Jubilee wetlands), still present 19:45 TP and going over into Fisher's mill.
Middleton Hall Pool Green Sandpiper and 2 on Fisher's mill AGW

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back